Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Security Password

Hello everyone

I need some advice!

Does anyone use a password system when children are collected by someone other than the main carer? I have heard that one group requests that the parent/carer provide the nursery with a password in the event of an emergency or the need for their child to be collected by someone other than the person/persons listed on the enrolment form.

I would like to implement this system and wondered if anyone else does this and, if so, what information they include on the form.

Thanks in anticipation!

Yes We do!

We ask parents on registration to list who they will allow to collect their children and to allocate a password for those people should they come to collect.

Most children at our setting get collected by their mum or childminder so when someone else turns up, as long as they know that child's password we know it's ok, if they don't know it we wouldn't let them take them without contacting the parents first.

It works well for us.

We use a password but its not on the forms, its just whatever the main carer tells us Uncle Frank will use when he collects at the end of the session. If anyone else arrives and doesnt know the password we phone to check.

We do the same as above, We also have a code phrase just in case we need extra help (i.e. police etc), can't obviously say what it is here, but if we say a certain phrase to a member of staff then they know to ask no questions but to call police/security.

Our admissions contract gives parents the option of having a password if they want to use one - we do stress that if they use a password that all people they nominate to collect their child must know the password they have chosen.

On average 25% of parents elect to have the optional password as added security.

We do the same as above, We also have a code phrase just in case we need extra help (i.e. police etc), can't obviously say what it is here, but if we say a certain phrase to a member of staff then they know to ask no questions but to call police/security.

Goodness don't know what happened to my above posts!

I meant to add (or I thought I had added) that we have never had to use it, but we did have a dad who tried to gain access to see his child, fortunately he didn't get into the building and he went away without much fuss, but had it turned nasty then the phrase would have come into its own!

I do know that one of our sister nurseries has had to use the phrase; used as a complete last resort of course!

We use a password but its not on the forms, its just whatever the main carer tells us Uncle Frank will use when he collects at the end of the session. If anyone else arrives and doesnt know the password we phone to check.

The problem we would have here, is that approximately 20% of our children are collected by a friend or relative - not always the same children. Currently, when we are told that Uncle Frank is collecting, we write it on the staff notes board so that if the member of staff who has been informed is not at the session at the end of the day then we can look on the board when Uncle Frank arrives. If we are given 5 or 6 names the passwords need to be written down and put out of sight. I thought that if I use a small slip of paper, which parents complete at induction, it could be filed and checked when needed. Any thoughts?

Hi we have a password system, all children have persons who would normally collect them listed on their personal files.

The password system is generally used in a emergency situation, like a broken down vehicle.

In the event that a parent/carer cannot collect and another unknown person is going to collect the child a word is given to the nominated person on the door or telephone.The collecting person has to disclose this on arrival.

No password no collection i'm afraid, but a call straight away to a parent to confirm, authorise would happen.

We also have a collection notepad which parents can put collecting adult that day. It is dated and signed by the parent/ carer.

These adults will have already been introduced to the staff on earlier occasions and be listed on the child's records. :o

Hi we have a password system, all children have persons who would normally collect them listed on their personal files.

The password system is generally used in a emergency situation, like a broken down vehicle.

In the event that a parent/carer cannot collect and another unknown person is going to collect the child a word is given to the nominated person on the door or telephone.The collecting person has to disclose this on arrival.

No password no collection i'm afraid, but a call straight away to a parent to confirm, authorise would happen.

We also have a collection notepad which parents can put collecting adult that day. It is dated and signed by the parent/ carer.

These adults will have already been introduced to the staff on earlier occasions and be listed on the child's records. :o

Yes, we work in a similar way, but have never used a password system; parents are expected to contact us if there is a change in collection arrangements - if there is no phone call, then the child is not released until we have contacted the parent. Having a password sounds like an excellent idea and I will ask all parents to provide a password and put this into place next week. I have drawn up the following proforma - is there anything else that needs to be included?

Child’s Name:

The following password is to be given by anyone

other than those listed on the enrolment form to

collect my child.

Signature: Date:

Relationship to child:

Hi,

We use apassword system, on our initial registration form we ask parents to provide us with a individual password something unique to the family, we have had some very strange things on there we also have a security question and answer just in case.

Not very long ago a man turned up not known to us to collect a child, mum had told us that an uncle would be collecting and she had told him the password anyway he didnt know the password so we asked him the security question, and he couldn't answer that either, he said this is really silly **** knows me, the child said it was uncle **** but we explained that we cant let her go with someone we dont know and if you dont know the answers we cant let her go.

anyway after some humming and Ahhing, he blurted out ******* the password. and we let the child go.

it does work well for us

If no known security risks, places often use date of birth - easier for all to remember.

If known risk would be different, as might have to change etc.

Hi

I work for a local creche, am the manager, and insist on the password system - parents give a password which they must come up with and then pass on to the relevant people.

I also ask the person who turns up for some identification as anyone can turn up and say they are 'uncle frank' once they ahve shown me this and then told me the password they are allowed to take the child

best to be safe not sorry in situations like this - our parents and the people that come do appreciate the fact we are possibly a little ott but i know its a good system as i have been to a nursery to collect my best friends daughter and didnt get asked for anything!

i even offered to show them my driving license but they said no its ok the child recognises you.

Guest Spiral

We have a list in the back of the register. In particular the parents must choose the password as they will remember it - We had one that didn't quite get the reason behind it and told everyone at the door "I'm here to collect my child, Madonna" :o Fantastic xD:(:(

Spiral x :( :wacko:

Edited by Spiral

We have a list in the back of the register. In particular the parents must choose the password as they will remember it - We had one that didn't quite get the reason behind it and told everyone at the door "I'm here to collect my child, Madonna" :o Fantastic xD:(:(

Spiral x :( :wacko:

Well done 'Madonna'! xD

Well, today was the first day of our new system for the arrival and departure of children!

A few minor teething problems - parents not signing in (forgot!), parents not signing out, parents signing in the wrong place and one parent signed her son in at 8.45 said goodbye to him then promptly signed herself out!!

However, the biggest problem is the very long queue of thirty disgruntled parents (well perhaps not all) waiting to sign their child out at the end of the day. I have tried to make the process a little quicker by having two clip boards - one for boys and one for girls, but I would gladly welcome any advice from anyone who uses this system.

At least the 'password' system has been welcomed by the parents!

Chris

When I had my preschool I used the password system. I would ask for this during introductory home visits. What always got me was when I asked for a password the parent would say something on the lines of " Yes, use the word 'Benjie', our dogs name, I won't forget that because I use it for my bank too !!!

As the parent said "because I use it for.........." I would cover my ears and say laa, laa, laa, don't tell me that, I don't want to know. xD:o

Peggy

believe me this used to happen so often :(

When I had my preschool I used the password system. I would ask for this during introductory home visits. What always got me was when I asked for a password the parent would say something on the lines of " Yes, use the word 'Benjie', our dogs name, I won't forget that because I use it for my bank too !!!

As the parent said "because I use it for.........." I would cover my ears and say laa, laa, laa, don't tell me that, I don't want to know. xD:o

Peggy

believe me this used to happen so often :(

"Okay, 'Benjie' ... now, if you'd just like to give me your PIN number ..." :(