Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Dear Zoo

Guest hfitz12

Guest hfitz12

Does anybody have any good ideas related to this book? I'm quite new to the forum (and to EYFS)and have tried to search previous posts with little success. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Oh yes!

Have just completed a topic - inspired by the children's interest in this story.........this was much 'admired' by our Ofsted Inspector.....who actually assumed it was something 'set up' by a real zoo - until I put her straight :o

So......

We read the story (several times), then wrote to the zoo - I wrote the letter and the children drew some super pictures of the pets they thought they might like!

We went out for a walk to our local PO - I had 'primed' them first - the children watched as the letter was weighed and a stamp added - we all 'examined' the stamp - it was really fitting as it had a lion on it!

Two days later a letter arrived from the zoo (clearly I had written it - but I had added a brill picture (!) the letter thanked the children for their lovely pictures and said....we thought very hard and we didn't send you an elephant because that would be too big, we didn't send you a ........you get my drift! xD

We had in the meantime bought a pet carrier and a puppy (a toy, obviously) the letter from the zoo had ended with the instruction that the puppy must never be left alone at pre-school and would need to go home with a little boy or little girl everyday! :(

Hope that helps - we have had so much fun with this - parents have really come on board and have added all sorts of things - a collar, a blanket, a dog coat, a diary etc.etc.

It's me again! :o

I love that book - can you tell?! xD

There are endless possibilities in addition to those i have described - lots of lovely PSRN work about weight and size, Lots of opportunities to talk about which other animals are 'fierce' or 'grumpy' or 'scary'.........what makes the children feel scared - what makes them feel better/safe........

You could make your own alternative book/story with different animals and different descriptions........

Any help?

We had Lizzie the Lizard delivered from the zoo, did you know she had been lost and needed taking care of?

She went to stay for a brief period in one of our chill out rooms as she loved the sunshine streaming through the window until she could be returned to the zoo.

All i can say is it was a VERY big box to contain both Lizzie and I :o

great book though!

• 2 weeks later...
Does anybody have any good ideas related to this book? I'm quite new to the forum (and to EYFS)and have tried to search previous posts with little success. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

We have just finished this topic and used lots of the activities suggested in the article. We were also really lucky to have a trip to the zoo. Lots of zoo songs on Sing Up. The children have been doing a sponsored matchbox challenge (how many different objects can they fit into a matchbox) for counting and writing numbers. We've raised enough money to sponsor a zoo animal and have done some data handling activities to see which is the most popular animal to sponsor.

Hi,

have a look on the Tes website, there are lots of good things. There is some stuff for Dear Zoo, but it is quite paper based. may help though, often there are powerpoints made to support the stories.

Debs

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)