Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Should I Charge?

I am a Childminder and I am available 'Term Time Only'. As the Royal Wedding Holiday fell during school holidays, the school most of my minded children (and my own) go to will be having an extra holiday at the end of the school year. I plan to be available on that day. Before I go to all my families I want a clear and fair plan in my head. Should I charge regardless of their needs, or should I deduct the day's charge?

Most of my families have school aged children and maybe some will want the children to spend the whole day with me, some will take a day off themselves, and some families who aren't with me on that day will want someone to cover for the school day.

Given that many of my Parents are Teachers (due to me being term time only) most of them will be off anyway - but they will also be getting for the holiday.

Sage words required please,

Honey

I'd charge!

The parents of my minded children all paid half fees on Friday for the public holiday - in the same way that they pay half fees for Bank Holidays and annual leave, as agreed in our contracts.

If your service is available and they choose to use it I'd charge full fees. If they choose to take it as holiday, half fees would be due - and as you say, the parents will be getting paid for the day! It is, after all, your business and livelihood!

Nona

I'd charge!

The parents of my minded children all paid half fees on Friday for the public holiday - in the same way that they pay half fees for Bank Holidays and annual leave, as agreed in our contracts.

If your service is available and they choose to use it I'd charge full fees. If they choose to take it as holiday, half fees would be due - and as you say, the parents will be getting paid for the day! It is, after all, your business and livelihood!

Nona

Generally I'm a bit tougher Nona - If they're off during term-time they pay full tote odds. Too annoyed when one family started taking holidays during term-time to get cheaper holidays and expecting me to take the cut. But that does make this situation more complicated for me. Do I call it 'term-time' or not?

Honey

Do I call it 'term-time' or not?

Honey

Yes!! It's an additional days holiday taken from the school calendar, after the term dates were decided - I'd treat it the same way as an Inset day :o

Nona

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)