Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Music In The Early Years

Guest TinklePrincess

Guest TinklePrincess

Hi all

I'm halfway through my dissertation into music in the ealy years (Started off as "A Study into the Benefits of Music in the Early Years" but now thinking of changing it to "A Look Into The Use of Music in the Early Years Curriculum" or something... not sure)

Now I'm not asking anyone to write my dissertation for me (the chance would be a fine thing!) but I've really been struggling to find literature, especially things like websites that are academically sound, on music in the early years... there seems to be some on primary and secondary education but it seems that it's not something that's been researched very well in the EY?

So, I'm just wondering whether anyone can point me in the right direction - obviously I've got some books and journal articles but they're not really being much help and I'm expected to have a quote or reference for everything I say!

Can anyone think of specific areas of policies or statutory/non-statutory guidance that I may have overlooked? It's so hard remembering all that I've learned in this last four years in order to get a big enough picture!

For my literature review, I thought about using the themes of:

Nature / Nurture (are certain people born musical or gifted - Look into Mozart?)

Music’s place in humanity (Cultural, Ages, It’s place in everyday life)

Music’s place in curriculum (Specific planned sessions, Fillers, Free-flow)

Best environments for music (Places, People, Time)

Music as a learning tool (Language development, PSED, KUW, Cognitive development, CLLD, PSRN)

What do you think?

Hi

I did something similar for my dissertation My question was "Collective singing and music in the primary school setting:what's the value?"

Areas for your literature review could include:

Gruhn(2002) Research indicates that the brains of babies are particularly susceptible to environmental stimuli which can accelerate learning process. Also produced a longitudinal study on the positive values of early years music.

Zoltan Kodaly (1882-1962) believes there is a need to promote the need for early access to music. He also states that every child is capable of becoming competent in music- and not just the musically gifted. He placed emphasis on starting with the voice and introducing music through pleasurable experiences in order to enhance children's all round development.

Carl Orff (1985-1982) He agreed with the importance of the voice and playful singing and rhymes; however he also highlighted the importance of adults and parents, group singing and the use of percussive instruments.

websites used

www.bongoclub.org accessed Oct 2008

www.lks.hu accessed Nov 2009

www.singup.co.uk

My study did include some of the early years but also went onto ks1 so I don't know if the other stuff I've got is any use.

Let me know if there is anything else i can help you with and good luck

T. :o

You probably have this already, but the book by Linda Pound and Chris Harrison, "Supporting Musical Development in the Early Years" has a good bibliography which might send you off in all sorts of directions!

Guest TinklePrincess
You probably have this already, but the book by Linda Pound and Chris Harrison, "Supporting Musical Development in the Early Years" has a good bibliography which might send you off in all sorts of directions!

Thanks everyone... Yeah I have this book but I just never think to check out the bibliographies... what a great idea! Thank you

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)