Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Puzzles - Stepping Stones

Dear All,

Just spent the morning updating the childrens profiles and I am unsure which stepping stones are covered when a child sits on their own and independently completes say a 15/20 piece jigsaw. I know I should know where to put this but keep on changing my mind. Help please - feeling a bit thick.

Nikki

Hi Nikki

You don't mean profile with a capital 'P' do you?!!

In terms of stepping stones, it could go in lots of places, couldn't it?

Just with a quick look:-

PSED: Dispositions and attitudes - persists for extended periods of time at an activity of his/her choosing

MD: Shape space and measure - matches some shapes by recognising similarities and orientation (if child was carefully looking at 'hole' in puzzle and matching with suitable puzzle pieces rather than just trying them all until they fit)

PD: Movement - manipulates materials by picking up, releasing, arranging, threading and posting them

under 'Using Tools and Materials' would it qualify for "engages in activities requiring hand-eye co-ordination" (no tools are involved, but doing puzzles definitely requires hand-eye co-ordination).

Always have this problem too...tend to go under PD (fine motor skills) but always feel it covers so much more.

we often put it under different areas in childrens profiles depending on areas we are observing. Some children ahve it in every area!!

Inge

I usually put puzzle obs under maths (shape / space). However, as mentioned they could also go into fine motor skills. Sorry not much more help!

Thanks everyone for your input - I shall know go back and fill in my profiles with the capital P. I also feel that they can go in a number of places and will probably put them mainly under Physical and PSE unless I had directly observed how they did it and was able to apply the maths one as often with the younger ones its trial and error and as Mazlittle says they may not necessarily be looking at the shapes but the trial and error wil cover the "persists for long periods of time...", if not brute force!!!! Thanks a lot

Nikki

Don't think any one has mentioned

CLL 6

SS yellow Engage in activities requiring hand eye co ordination

SS blue - Manipulates objects with increasing control

no mention of visual perception in ELG's but it also helps with letter recognition, if you use a puzzle with letter shapes you can cover ELG's for linking sounds and letters

Just serves as a reminder as to how useful and beneficial they really are to a child's learning - especially when you are trying to find that illusive piece from one of your most expensive jigsaws that has gone missing at the end of the session and thinking the worst of them.

Puzzles are a bit like socks and teaspoons - they go missing - they never turn up - so just where do they all go? I have about 6 puzzles (all expensive ones) that have been put away waiting to be reunited with their missing bits - I should chuck them but I know as soon as I do the dreaded piece will turn up at the bottom of some filing tray/box grinning at me saying - I told you so

Thanks everyone.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)