Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Classroom Area Signs

I'm planning to make signs for the different areas in my classroom and outdoor space so that it is very obvious to any passing parent/inspector that I'm making provision for all 6 areas of learning.

I was thinking of giving the areas different names like 'The Gallery' for our art/making/crafty area. I'm not sure though - do you think it would obscure the purpose of the different spaces rather than making it clearer? If any of you do have 'different' names what do you use?

Creative corner

Graphic Area

Malleable table

Mixing desk (paint but also have an easel)

Investigation

Clever fingers

ICT

Role play

Book Den

Construction

Maths shelves

Small world

Outside we have a 'Lets trolley' A trolley with 9 labled baskets of basic provision that can be pushed out in the outdoor space. Lets make a noise, Lets play a game, Lets read a book, Lets use numbers, Lets make a mark etc

I'm planning to make signs for the different areas in my classroom and outdoor space so that it is very obvious to any passing parent/inspector that I'm making provision for all 6 areas of learning.

I was thinking of giving the areas different names like 'The Gallery' for our art/making/crafty area. I'm not sure though - do you think it would obscure the purpose of the different spaces rather than making it clearer? If any of you do have 'different' names what do you use?

You could have an Inventors' Table, (design and technology).

I like the idea of more descriptive names for areas, how about - "Investigation Station". "Challenge Table" - setting different 'challenges''problems each day/week. The "Whatever you want it to be" area - large construction, creating with recycled materials. "What would you like for...? table" - choices of the day - children use mark/sticker to indicate their preference between two choices - i.e. part of snack - apple or orange, which book for story time, which flower on lunch table etc. etc. or a "What do you think about...? Unusual items to explore, adult to record what children say and support and share their thinking.

Biccy - I'm intrigued - what happens in the 'Clever fingers area' - knitting?

It's fine manipulation challenges like marbles on bath mats, picking up sequins with tweezers etc

At another setting recently, I noticed that they are using, what I think are, Makaton signs. They get the message across without the need for reading skills, and they look a bit more discrete - not so direct.

I wonder if these sorts of signs are available...well....for free? or have they well protected copyrights? Budget is a bit tight.

Cheers, Honey

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)