Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Driving Holiday In France

I've just had to buy a new car after my old one died on me and I thought this year I would take the opportunity to take myself and my new car to do my dream holiday - driving through France, going to a few vineyards, provance and ending up in the south of france on a beach.

Just wondered if anyone else had done this and if it's done best with another person who can take on some of the driving or if I could do it on my own? I'm quite a confident driver, have a great memory for maps and think nothing of whizzing from one side of england to the other in a day.

Any ideas/advice?

Guest lou73

Sounds lovely......I would recommend the taking of a sat nav, so at least if your on your own, you don't need to keep stopping to look at a map. x

That sounds like a wonderful idea if you have the confidence to do it alone, in a reliable vehicle. I haven't done that journey but know that the roads are not crowded as they over here, which makes driving easier, and if you use the paying autoroutes traffic is scarce and the services are very good. It would cost quite a bit that way to get down to the south on top of the price of fuel! You would miss the pretty villages doing that though. It depends how long you have got really as there is so much to see.

Whilst the south of France is wonderful don't forget that almost all of France is beautiful and interesting in different ways. Don't write off the Centre, Bourgogne, Auvergne and the Dordogne before you go to Provence.

I Hope you have a great holiday.

I thought I would let you know that as a bilingual school we received a letter from the embassy alerting us to the fact that there is a measles outbreak in France this year. Just incase you need to know!

Anything is possible if you want to do it!

I would go for it, you sound confident that you can cope with it all.

That said, I am sure you would have no shortage of friends offering themsleves as travelling companions.

although i havent done a touring holiday, i have taken two small children to france on my own. All i can say is just to be organised ...lots of things for them to do/eat(that they can open themselves) i spy books/dvd's etc etc...although one of my children got very good at navigating!! you can now sign up to pay by telecard(?)at the toll booths ...this would be worth it because its difficult to stretch out the wrong window with your money!! :o Have fun ..ive done loads of driving in France and love it....i drove to Italy and back last year,but not on my own. Oh and take lots of breaks..every 2 hours is a good option (even if you dont feel like it) that way the children have been toileted and excersised regularly xD

Ooo thank you for all your encouraging words - have been tempted for years since being driven from Milan to Cannes and back by ex-OH in a day - beautiful scenery and fab ice cream.

As the car is new I'm sure it would be fine (touch wood) but will up my cover to include European assistance and insurance too as well as investing in a Sat Nav (if only I could find my phone!). I'm afraid my journey will be on my own as all my friends are 'en famillie' so to speak and am the only single one! Have investigated travelling to northern Italy by motor rail and travelling back from there to Calais and catching the beach at the start and seeing all the lovely places in between (thank you Jacquie L for the tips) and finleysmaid thanks for the tips for the telecard - had forgotten about that one - I remember having to run out of the car round the other side in Italy and pop my card in for our journey on the toll road but never ever being charged! Thanks for reminding me about the measles Wendles - I'd heard about it in the news but will make sure I am uptodate (I think I had it when I was very very young but will check!)

Time to do a bit of googling!