Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

At Least Half Of Staff Qualified

I am starting a new job as a supervisor at a preschool. The day that i start is the same day they are adding an extra session.

i noticed the other day that i will be working with 2 other members of staff who are not qualified making it less than half of the staff working qualifed in that session. does anyone no if the session still run like this?

many thanks

Welcome to the forum Sammy. Whats age are the children and how many are there as it may be you would be ok, say, if they there 16 3 to 4 year olds so the offical ratio would be 1:8. The other body would be extra to the ratio.

I've always believed it had to be at least half the staff qualified.

i thought it was also at least half staff should be qualified , therefore if you have 3 members of staff for each session at least 2 of them should be qualified ?

i havent got my copy of the statutory requirements atm to check tho ?

So if by ratio's you only need 2 members of staff, so you and one unqualified, does it matter about the other person being unqualified I wonder as they don't 'need' to be there? I'm sure if you email OFSTED they could tell you :)

So if by ratio's you only need 2 members of staff, so you and one unqualified, does it matter about the other person being unqualified I wonder as they don't 'need' to be there? I'm sure if you email OFSTED they could tell you :)

When I had my inspection lasst January, Ofsted were happy the staff within the ratio's stated in our policies (so in our case 1-6) were 50% qualified. We sometimes have an extra member of support staff in, helping with general jobs, who is not qualified, but not counted in the ratio either, so she was fine with that.