Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

there is light at the end of the tunnel and I am coming to the end of my fd at uni, but as usual staring at a blank page for hours on end instead of writing. Have to write essay on how understanding of gender shapes children's identity, I have lots of info but just don't know where to start. Any ideas very gratefully accepted !!!! x

Guest Spiral

Hi there,

maybe considering how gender throughout the ages/through books/song/text/media links into children's understanding of who they are - Jack and Jill, Little Bo Peep, Lazytown and even the Fimbles, who all have references to gender.

Even within programmes like the Fimbles, the Wombles and others that use animals as fictional characters have been given gender. . . the question there is why?

Would many boys automatically lean towards being like Sportacus rather than Stephanie or is our society and programming so strong that by the age of three a child knows there is a difference and what is expected of them.

Hope that helps, or at least sows a seed for thought. I really struggled with one of my essay's last term and I can't bear to see anyone else struggle.

Spiral

i don't know if this is any use to you but I'll tell you just in case... My class are all autistic and so most of them are barely influenced by society in general because they're not that interested in anyone else. They are year 2 so all either 7 or nearly 7. I have 8 boys and 1 girl. The girl likes computers and pirates. The only 'girly' thing I have ever seen her show any interest in was a princess magazine that her mum bought for her but she was quite happy to swap it for an argos catalogue! Out of the boys I have 3 who are obsessed by shoes and when we did a project about shoes their favourites were my silver spangley high heel sandals and my bright pink flowery flip flops (there were blue flip flops and trainers too but they weren't interested in these). I have another boy who loves playing with baby dolls, so much so that we've had to hide the dolls because he wouldn't do anything else! And I have another boy who will dress up in a pink tutu and fairy wings whenever he gets the chance. Most of the boys aren't interested in cars, in fact of the only 2 that ever play with them, one just lines them up (he lines everything up!) and the other likes to sit and spin the wheels (He spins everything!!).

I don't know if there's any research into this but it might be worth looking up.

Also years ago boys traditionally wore pink and girls wore blue (I can't remember how long ago that was, steven fry said it on QI) so that might be worth a mention too

Hope this is helpful. Good luck with your essay x

there is light at the end of the tunnel and I am coming to the end of my fd at uni, but as usual staring at a blank page for hours on end instead of writing. Have to write essay on how understanding of gender shapes children's identity, I have lots of info but just don't know where to start. Any ideas very gratefully accepted !!!! x

I read of a study somewhere that showed that adults treated babies differently according to what gender they thought they were. Researchers dressed baby boys in pink and people treated them gently, dressed the girl babies in blue and there was more rough play. Will try and find ref, but you might be able to google it.

Just finishing OU assignment, so bit busy... smile.gif

Good luck, sounds very interesting.

x T

PS: missblinx, thanks for your insight, very interesting. my boy is also not at all influenced by peer pressure, and he is down to be assessed for Aspergers soon...

I read of a study somewhere that showed that adults treated babies differently according to what gender they thought they were. Researchers dressed baby boys in pink and people treated them gently, dressed the girl babies in blue and there was more rough play. Will try and find ref, but you might be able to google it.

I saw that on Robert Winstone's programme.

As you already have lots of info, how about starting with how inclusive your own practice is or has been with regard to gender at your placement settings.

As you already have lots of info, how about starting with how inclusive your own practice is or has been with regard to gender at your placement settings.

Thankyou everyone x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)