Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Pirates (literacy)

Hi everyone,

Bit of advice please... am reapplying for my job (maternity cover- to perm full time)

Our topic this week is pirates and I have 20 mins to wow my headteacher. The subject is literacy.

Now... we are currently learning hfw's, and due to a 'pretend ofsted' who said we didnt use the outdoor area enough i was thinking....

Have a hfw treasure hunt in the outdoor area?

(At the beginning of the week, introduce my treasure chest of goodies/jewellery etc and that our class toy 'snowy the owl' is keeping guard of the treasure. Then when it comes to wednesday, the chest and snowy ARE GONE! he has been kidnapped and we need to rescue him! Maybe have some sort of note/map??

Then take my mixed ability outside and get them to try and find and read the hfw!

I need help as i know its lacking substance and differentiation. My mixed abilty group will range from easily reading hfw to my lower ability only recognising s,a,t.

Help please everyone! Need to make sure I nail this observation! :o

Could you teach them this (sorry it will get into your head)

They could sing it and psyche up their excitement to go treasure hunting. There's a good lot of rhythm to it and whilst not necessarily hfw, it may open some ideas for different words perhaps?

I've got something else about pirates somewhere - I'll have a look. Might have been a download from scholastics free resources

finding the letters to make hfw sounds like a great idea... theyre only watching me for 20mins and as i actually teach the class (on maternity applying for the perm post)- im assuming ill have to carry on with the lesson- they probably wont even see the whole lesson... but a great idea all the same.

if its a mixed ability though how can i make it so differentiated that everyone will be able to get involved? I dont want the lower ability in that group to be overwhelmed whilst the higher ability are running around make words left right and centre??

:o

so for example have c-a-t (as letters on cards), then have a picture of a cat with its label, so higher ability can find the individual letters to make the word, then the lower ability can find the corresponding picture of a cat(labelled).

Thanks for the suggestions... x

• 2 weeks later...

Just to let you know- I got my job and I got an outstanding on my lesson. Take that! Thanks fso much for your help xxxx

:o

• 4 weeks later...

Hi so pleased for you! Could you please tell me about your actual lesson- have lesson obs comin up and our theme is pirates so would be great to share your outstanding ideas! :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)