Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Advice Please

Guest lou73

Guest lou73

Hi,

I presently work as a nursery teacher and have an up and coming interview for a reception post (which I would love). I am thinking of doing a very physical, outdoors numeracy activity using the speckled frog song involving recognising numbers and getting the children to identify numbers when we add one more or take one away through children moving between the log and pond. Its for 15 minutes just wanted to see what you kind people on the forum thought about this idea?

Sounds good.

Just worth thinking ahead about management issues. Will you have the whole class? If it's a large class, how will you keep them all engaged? Are they all being frogs at once? Will you split them into groups?

Good luck!

Guest lou73

Hi

thanks for your replies the activity is for 8 children so they will all be frogs.....just wondering......for plenary do I

(a) use guitar and sing song again with the use of the interactive whiteboard with a little thing to drop and drag frogs of log? to reinforce the one less than/one more than

(:o advoid guitar as too happy clappy and just use whiteboard?

I have come up with soooooo many ideas my head hurts.

lou X

Guest LornaW

Oh keep the guitar how wonderful for children to see someone play and sing to live music!

Lorna

Sounds good, I'm sure they'll love the outdoor/active element! As Susan said make sure you have some way of extending the activity, I'm currently in Reception and they would need pushing a bit more (although obviously you can't be expected to know the levels of the children and all children are different!)

Good Luck!

I would just wonder if counting to 5 /1 less than 5 isn't a bit too easy for many children by this time of the year in F2??

Could you contact school to ask for general levels of attainment so you can pitch appropriately?

I always played guitar!

Cx

Guest lou73

Hi Guys

thanks for your advice....we will be doing eight frogs on a log, not five so making it a little harder but we will not be doing it in conventional sense. We will sing song but instead of one frog jumping the number will be between 0 and 8 as identified on a card.....the children will then jump as directed into the pond and then a series of questions asked about the pond and log so to speak......so differentiation occurs......hope they like it.X

I think you need to ask about the abilities of the children as I think this may be too easy for many F2 children at the end of the spring term, especially if you have a mixed ability group. Certainly use your guitar as it is wonderful to have 'live' music, and it may even tip the balance between you and another candidate.

I think its absolutely lovely! My children would love it. I expect most of my children to know 1 less than a number mentally now, so you could ask them how many will there be if 1 or 2 jumped into the pool before they do it practically. You could extend by writing it as a number sentence with playground chalks if children find this easy. Good luck! Great idea to use outdoor area and guitar! x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)