Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

When Should We Have A Lead Professional In By?

Guest Spiral

Guest Spiral

Hi there,

just trying to write something up and I can't find the year by which we are supposed to have a lead professional in place by - this is for pre-school.

Any thoughts on how we could support the costs of having to employ a degree qualified person when we struggle to pay the current staff? Gosh it's a bit worrying,

Spiral :-(

Hi Spiral

I'm not sure that I know what you mean by a 'lead professional'. Are you referring to the need for full day care settings to have an EYP on board? If so I think that might be waiting for the EYFS review to be finalised, but I could be wrong.

I was asking in my LA about the possibilities of sharing an EYP but am waiting for someone to answer my question...

Guest Spiral

Sorry, yes that's exactly what I mean - its late at night for me!

our funding goes up quite a bit if we have an eyp in place, but I'm concerned, after all, what is it we are supposed to gain from an eyp other than more pressure to do more and less money to do it with...maybe I am being too negative.

I did think there was a date for the eyp to be in place by and could do with it (even if it is under review), any ideas?

thank you,

Spiral :-)

I think the original date was 2015, but I'm not sure if that is still going ahead. It might be worth checking with your LA.

As for the EYP question, I can only speak from experience that my practice has improved enormously as a result of my achieving EYPS (or rather from my journey to achieving it, if you see what I mean). Would the hourly uplift go towards a salary enhancement for replacing a Level 3 member of staff with an EYP when and if the opportunity arises? It will be interesting to see if the Government announces any replacement for the GLF - that has literally kept me afloat this last couple of years.

I was talking to my EYST as I am currently on the pathway to becoming an EYP and to her knowledge there is no longer a rule that you have to EMPLOY an EYP but you have to have INPUT from one - so theoretically you can share one with another setting. No idea however how that would work or even if it could work. All I know is that when/if they take the funding away there's no way I or my setting could cover the costs of the course so I won't be able to finish.

The government impose these rules with no thought to how people will cope financially during and after the qualification :o

I was talking to my EYST as I am currently on the pathway to becoming an EYP and to her knowledge there is no longer a rule that you have to EMPLOY an EYP but you have to have INPUT from one - so theoretically you can share one with another setting.

Yet we were told by our early years team that it is not enough to have an input from an EYP, they must spend a 'significant' time working with the children and leading practice. We just need to know how they define 'significant'! :o

Hi guys I am an EYP working in a private nursery and as happy maz has already highlighted the only reason I have been able to stay at the nursery is through the glf funding, however I am very worried as is my boss as if the government fail to provide any funding for such EYPS I will take an imidiate pay cut (which my boss can not afford to provide me with) which will unfortunately leave me in a very grim situation. Is anyone aware when and if the government will announce if there will be any funding available for EYPS in the future? Thanks guys!

Xxx

Guest Spiral

Thanks for the replies. There doesn't seem to be a right or wrong, however I think the general theme is financial concern.

It is my biggest concern too - either as a practitioner or from a management point of view.

I really hope the new guidance from the gov't will consider the future of settings and the financial aspects - especially ensuring pay is relevant to qualification, yet affordable by settings.

Thanks again averyone,

Spiral.