Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Outside Flooring

i am trying to plan an outside area for september. we would like to have some sort of covering over an area to create an all weather space (i have some ideas for this but any others appreciated) but it is the flooring i am trying to work out. My first thought was decking but i am worried that this may get very slippy when wet. The rest of the garden will be grass so this may be the only area for bikes /trikes etc too

Any ideas? and anything i should definitely avoid?

Thank you :o

I have a mixture of concrete tiles, bark, decking and solid rubber matting. The decking was quickly covered in the rubber matting as the gaps were finger trap hazards and yes it did need regular scrubbing and sweeping to keep clean and slipfree. I wouldn't recommend it really.

The bark is great as it looks natural and just needs a new bag or two chucked over it every now and again. It's a good home for minibeasts and can also be dug in and transported around!

Concrete tiles dry very quickly so make a good dry area for ride onsa and also for chalking on.

The black rubber matting is also brilliant for chalking. It's like having a huge level blackboard and the rain just washes it all away afterwards.

We have the rubber flooring made from shredded tyres. It is great for protecting the children when they fall and for wheeled toys, however it can feel hot in the summer months and we were advised not to have sand play outside as it can damage it. Ours has a road track for wheeled toys and is in bright primary colours. It's nice but I still wish we had an area of grass too :o

Guest heleng

We have the so called brightly coloured safety surface and hate it! We can't do anything on it (paint, sand, gloop etc) as it blocks the pores that make it porous, when it gets leaves on it in winter it gets slippery and in the summer it is burning hot.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)