Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Writing Pm Observation On Tadpoles - Inspiration Needed!

Hi, wondered if anyone could give me some ideas for a writing observation in Reception in two weeks. Our frogspawn has just arrived so thought I could theme it around the frogspawn and hopefully tadpoles by then and also link activities to Spring. I have 'the teeny weeny tadpole' book but I am looking for exciting writing activities for my focus groups! I have a wide range of abilities from chn recognising and matching and just about writing initial sounds to some who are confident at 2 to 3 independent sentences. Any ideas greatly appreciated!

ok random thought ...6.30 havent quite woken up but when i think frogs i think spells and then that makes me think room on the broom...lots of rhyming opportunities....frog /bog/log etc sorry not treally an activity more a train of thought xD:o

How about labelling a series of pictures of the life cycle of a frog? The more able ones could write a sentence underneath each. Sorry, not very exciting. They could take their own photos to spice it up!

Hi,

What about getting the children to photograph the various stages of growth and then you import it into a photostory. The children's explanatory text could then be added and music to support. Text could be written first to cover your objective on whiteboards/paper etc and then could be re-done for photostory slides. Only thought of this because we are having a big push on using digital media at the mo.

Photostory is free to download and is very easy to use as an adult led activity.

Thanks for your ideas so far! I haven't heard of photostory but just downloaded it and it looks good and simple to use. I like the idea of that, always good to get some ICT in as well! Keep the ideas coming....any thoughts on independent activites would be greatly appreciated too!! Thanks.

It's always best to work out the learning you want to take place first in specific terms. Lessons I observe are often weak because the focus is on what the children will do rather than why are they doing it.

What progress do you want children to make in what skill in this session??

Cx

Edited by catma

It's always best to work out the learning you want to take place first in specific terms. Lessons I observe are often weak because the focus is on what the children will do rather than why are they doing it.

What progress do you want children to make in what skill in this session??

Cx

Yes I definitely agree, however I want to make the focus groups exciting rather than just sitting and writing with pencils! My most able need to write sentences and are beginning to use capital letters and full stops. They decide what to write themselves most of the time. I have a group who are confident with cvc words but struggle to think of what to write themselves but have a good go at writing phrases goven to them. I have a group who are hearing and beginning to write intial and some final sounds but with poor letter formation, most of their activities are very practical and using sand, shaving foam etc for writing. I want to show progress in these areas for the particular groups in an exciting way! Thanks!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)