Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Numicon

Numicon is fantastic - we have used this as an intervention/extra support strategy rather than the wave 3 (or whatever is called). Our BA children have made huge strides and are now above average with their maths. We are now using it with our average children to give them a boost. (This is with Year 1)

In Reception, the children have the bits (sorry can't remember what their proper names are) as part of their activities they can choose - the children enjoy working with them. Would thoroughly recommend!

• 2 weeks later...

i have just joined a school who use numicon throughout.

Although i do not have much experience at the minute, I have been using the numicon..

Making 10 (show them the 10 numicon BLUE COLOUR) then find ways of making 10

So we would discuss ways of making ten etc. then find the corresponding numicon e.g. two 5 numicons which are red and then we would place directly on top of the blue numicon.

We have also used numicon for number sums , so before practising writing actual number sums, we would have a laminated piece of paper with a + and an = with allocted spaces and then the children can practice making a number sum using the numicon so a light blue numicon (no.2) + yellow numicon (no.3) = red numicon (no.5) We always count the holes which also improves their 1:1 number correspondence.

This is all i can help with im afraid.. very longwinded.apologies!

good luck!

I also know there are guidebooks available.

I agree with Susan, just put it out for them to explore. Do you have any of the white baseboards and the picture overlays? They would be a good idea for pre-schoolers as it is just a case of matching the correct colour numicon piece to the picture. Another ideas is to give them a blank baseboard and let them experiment with covering it completely, making sure you put lots of 1s and 2s in to fill in the little holes. The guide book then suggests using less 1s and 2s as they get more familiar with it.

I've just put a set of 1-10 shapes in my playdough for the children to use.

I've got a box in my cupboard that I got out when it first arrived and then put away coz I wasn't sure what to do with it so I'm watching this thread with interest...

I came across this the other day and the setting were talking about using it and the rep was asking them if they wanted to do 'every child counts' and writing and reading'??? Does anyone know about this aspect of it??? :o

Our SENCO just recently gave us some training on it so we're all getting it out! I used it today to start teaching partitioning (Y1s) and just let my YR 'play' - they sorted it and then made patterns and found a unifix cube to be a 'people' jumping in the holes.

I think it's really for all sorts of things - especially number bonds, odds/evens - the impression I got was, you think of it, you can do it with numicon.

I'd have a look at the numicon website - it might have some useful 'explaining stuff' on it.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)