Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Observation Checklist

Guest terrydoo73

Guest terrydoo73

We are working from a sheet which details the observation noted ie shows care and concern for other children, is aware of the playgroup routines etc but have been told there is another sheet available whereby you can see clearly what observations are being missed out on by individual children. Basically what we do at the moment is take a note of what we see and then add the comment above to each observation at the end of the session. I am very aware that one of my particular children is lacking in certain areas but if I had some sort of checklist to see what it is then I could focus on developing this with the child. Hopefully you understand what I mean and maybe could point me to where I might get a copy - we are in Northern Ireland so might be working to a different system than English??

You could try using this Terrydoo.

If you record the date you have made observations in the grid you will begin to see an overall pattern emerge, also how the children progress through the age bands. We have removed the younger age bands because we don't work with children under 2 and a half years old.

Development_Recording_Sheet_2008.doc

Edited by Panders

At the back of our learning journeys we have an A4 sheet which is split into the areas of learning and then split again into areas such as dispositions and attitudes and communication for thinking etc.

What we do is write in a date in the appropriate column when we have evidence of that bit of the learning area.

This might be an observation , a comment on a post it, drawing, writing, painting or an annoted photograph which are dated and so the date on your sheet corresponds to this piece in the learning journey.

There is plenty of space to write in many dates and you can see exactly where the gaps are in evidence.

These areas are not broken down further into months because we then use the sheet at the back in conjunction with the learning journey entries to decide what age band the evidence falls into.

Not sure if that makes any sense?!!!!!!

I havent got the sheet on this computer but if you would like to have a look at a blank one please PM me and I will search it out.

We have been using this way of seeing what evidence we do and dont have for 2 years now and I think it is a simple and quick way of keeping an eye on gaps in evidence.

Edited by Scarlettangel

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)