Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

How Do I Find Out Starting Points?

I am preparing for Ofsted coming in a couple of weeks. I've been writting up the obs using the photos I have taken in the past and the daily diarys. I have used these to show what planning I have done at the time. (using the 6 areas and putting in what they have done in each box for that following month) I had done the planning originally when I saw there was a need but not written it down.

I've been looking at the Ofsted reports that have been done by the inspector that is coming around and she mentions how she likes people to mention starting points.

Is this something like "when E started with us at 9 months she didn't like being on her back. She couldn't turn herself over. When she was placed on her tummy she didn't lift her head. She couldn't push herself up. We soon discovered she liked sitting on the mat. We encouraged her to move forward by placing some of her favourite toys just out of reach. When she was on our laps she didn't push her legs to stand. So we "danced" with her so she built up strength in her legs. We moved her legs in a walking movement which she enjoyed. We placed her in front of a low table that had toys of interest on it to encourage her to stand for a little bit longer. One day she had enough strength to be able to stand there unassisted for a short while. Even taking one hand off the table so she could reach for a toy."

Is that right or am I completly or partly wrong? I'm confused with the eyfs to be honest with you. Not as easy as it appeared at first to work out.

I am in preschool so obviously children not as young as you have but we get our 'starting points' from parents prior to admission. We have a 'unique child' book with lots of questions and parents complete them with as much information as they want to give. It includes things such as what they like doing, people important to them as well as developmental stuff.

I think you are on the right lines but think it should say what the child can do rather than focusing on what they can't do. I guess that particularly with babies the information gained from parents would be especially helpful here as the children are pre-verbal.

Sorry if this is not much help hopefully someone who works with babies will be along before too long

Edited by Gezabel

I am a childminder and have a blank 'starting points' form saved on my pc which I complete after a child has been with me for two or three sessions. This is in addition to the form I ask parents to complete before their child's first day with me.

I fill in my 'starting points' form in a systematic way using my own observations of the child and referring to the development matters in each area of development for guidance.

I can send you an example of a completed form witht the name blanked if you would like?

We have pages which parents complete when their children start. Ofsted liked them and said they show a really good starting point. THey should be in the resource library if you'd like to see them

• 10 months later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)