Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Nhs Subsidised Places?

I have recently been contacted by a prospective parent who currently has a subsidised nursery place for her child as she works for the NHS. I wonder if anyone could tell me if they think those places are subsidised by the nursery or by the hospital (NHS)? Thinking it might be a condition applied when the nursery was built close to the hospital. But....could it possibly be that NHS pay subsidies?

Just like to know what I'm competing with.

Many thanks

Honey

Out local hospital has an on-site nursery, places are cheaper for staff...

not that any money actually changes hands, in their case.. just cheaper price because of location.. it is run by a private company... nothing to do with NHS other than they asked for tenders when the previous supplier gave up.. is condition of having the setting on site...

so in effect they have 2 prices, and have to cover the cost themselves.. but rent is the one thing they get at a good price so overall it evens out

but they may not all work like that...

Edited by Inge

NHS staff can claim for the childcare vouchers - we have four parents who work in our local hospitals and claim these to ofset against thier fees in our setting (which is based between the two main hospitals in the city). Also as other posters have said - often Nurseries on NHS sites have a two tier fee system - one for NHS staff and one for the general public . :o

Hi we've recently been contacted by the NHS (not sure which department but could be HR) requesting we subsidise places for NHS staff - in return for their business

I inquired further, thinking they might 'buy' so many places (so we are paid, allbeit at a reduced price, if they are used or not) but no, just 'as and when' needed, like the rest of our customers

Had to say no, as really couldn't see the benefits to the business

Edited by gingerbreadman

Same thing with my experience, I am in the process of attempting to rent nursery premises very near a hospital that does not have a nursery, when I contacted them to see whether they would be interested in a nursery nearby, they said staff would expect a 5/10% discount for NHS staff, and again, would not be able to guarantee any places.

Edited by Guest

5- 10% wouldn't be too bad. Sounded like more than that she was getting though. Am remembering getting a call from a University a few years ago. Maybe the same sort of set up. I do have one parent who is a student who has fees paid by her college. Royal pain getting those though. Would be great to have a guaranteed places filled though.

Honey