Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Parents Information Board

Hi all

we have a number of parents in the setting at the moment who would like their two years olds to be writing there names and to be doing more formal learning. I would like to make a display which states the stages a child needs to go through before they are ready to write. If anyone could sent me in the right direction of where to look I would be most grateful.

Also If this is not in the right area then please feel free to move the post.

thank you

wellerkaren

Hi all

we have a number of parents in the setting at the moment who would like their two years olds to be writing there names and to be doing more formal learning. I would like to make a display which states the stages a child needs to go through before they are ready to write. If anyone could sent me in the right direction of where to look I would be most grateful.

Also If this is not in the right area then please feel free to move the post.

thank you

wellerkaren

Why not check out the development matters for Writing and Handwriting in the EYFS book. It would give you a starting point at least.

I'm sure this was discussed on the forum a week or so ago! - if you do a 'search forum post', hopefully some suggestions will come up.

As my PBE (practitioner based enquiry) when I did my Foundation degree I set up a display in our setting about all of the types of things a child needed to become skilled at before they were ready to pick up a pencil and write - it was quite easy to do , included things like ball skills/things to encourage hand eye co-ordination, playdough recipes and some dough to test out,sponge balls and balloons, filled with sand/flour /water etc for building hand and wrist muscles etc. I also gave out copies of the Baece leaflet about handwriting ( not sure if it is still available)and some other info I found plus there was a video which one of our local schools had made, about what the school would like the children to be doing, with no mention of being able to write on entry ! The parents engaged with it well, gave me lots of positive feedback and stopped asking about when we were going to teach the children to write. It's often a case of them assuming they are asking for the right thing ,and feeling that we expect them to be showing an interest in thier childs 'learning' when really a lot of the time parents don't understand all that has to be learned beforehand, and nor should we as practitioners expect them to. :o

Mark making....

second page has a section on not rushing children and what helps before they start to write.... perhaps could use as inspiration for a display or give leaflet to parents... we had this one available so we could discuss with parents..

My first reaction was.. when do we allow our children to be the age they are.... they all have so many years of education, sitting etc ahead of them.. and the skills they learn now are so valuable in later years... and actually think I have voiced these concerns to parents at times when faced with this...

edit to add...

other leaflets available here on other subjects, all very good.

Edited by Inge

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)