Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Observation Photos

Hi, I still havent got this clear in my head so was wondering what you all did. When taking photos of the children I try not to get any of the other children in them so I don't have pictures of people children going home to others parents homes. If I have had a situation like a group photoe like at our christmas party or an outing i ask all the parents permission before giving each of them a copy but sometimes there are lots of children involved. What do you all do?

thanks

Karin

Hi! and welcome to the Forum!

My parental consent forms for the use of photos, videos etc have boxes to tick including one for "use in the learning journey's of other children who attend the provision"

All my parents have signed to say that they're happy for their children to feature in the photos with their friends - we all agreed it was nicer than blanked out faces!

Nona

Hi

We do the same as Nona...otherwise it looks like a very lonely place! Some of the best photos are when they are with their friends. Of course we do take it into account should any parent refuse but none have done so far.

Same here, permission before child starts, any not given are not in pictures, or deleted immediately we notice.

never a blanked out face.. wonder what message this gives to children about how we value them amongst other things.

Funny you should ask this, we show others as permission is sought.

But the other day I viewed a learning journal and my staff member had cut out everyone else all you could see was THE child. Its looked so sad. To me it looked like he was on his own ALL the time. It was how Marley described a 'lonely look' you couldn't see any other areas of the setting just the child and the activity. I haven't asked her yet why as shes not been in to see. Its got to change thats not how I want to see my setting 'lonely'

Big Sue

• 4 weeks later...

The view of an old childminder and a bloke to boot is this:

Straightforward permission to take photos for use in the setting or any other related activity is fine, but no need to make it too complicated and involved. The more boxes to tick, exceptions to delete and clauses to add comes with its own dangers! There are armies of pen pushers out there all trying to justify their miserable existences. They latch on to ideas like this and before we know it, it's tablets of stone and written into the legislation. More totally unnecessary paperwork and admininistration blocking up the cupboards!! My best advice is keep it simple and uncluttered,don't pander to the PC brigade anymore than right and proper and don't give the empire builders any bright ideas! That way they might clear off a bit sooner and build their empires in another sphere of society.

Well that's my rant over with. Seriously though, think carefully about it.

Roddogsbody of Barnet.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)