Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Sickness And Diarrhoea

Hi all!

Just after a bit of advice really....

We have had several cases of the dreaded S&D over the past wek and today i have 5 children off with it and have sent 2 further children home because of vomitting in the setting.

I'm just after advice as to what can be done... I'm sending a letter home with children today to inform parents of how long they need to stay off (as im pretty sure alot of the children are coming back before they really should be!) but is there anything else i need to do?

I have contacted infection control and am waiting for a call back with regards to having a 'deep clean' here in the setting....

Mnay thanks everyone!

Health Authority have a 48 hour recommendation for staying off from the last time the child was ill. It works wonders as you can blame it on the NHS Health Authority that way you get no arguments of "they were fine yesterday!!!!"

Good luck Also get your staff to maybe alchohol rub their hands and also Dettol spray for the surfaces can also be sprayed in the air to disinfect every thing. It can also be used on the toys that are you can't wash as well as surfaces.

good luck

Hi, it'll be norovirus, just seems to sweep through every few years. Once you've had it you're generally immune for a while.

Good hand washing is obviously important but to be honest if they are going to get it they will. I don't think it is to do with your levels of cleanliness.

We had the 48 hour rule , not that parents liked it, but when they rang in to tell us we always reminded them, cannot be sure they all stuck to it, but at least we knew they would be off 2 days before returning...

During sessions one of us would ensure the sinks and taps etc were all cleaned regularly. I always feel that it is an issue that you wash hands thoroughly and then have to turn a tap off which had been touched by many before you, contaminating them again...

these bugs get everywhere and no matter how much you clean or have exclusion periods there is no way you can avoid them ...

Since the predicted swine flu outbreak we routinely get everyone entering the setting to use gel on their hands. It's just part of our routine and no-one has objected.

We appear to have reduced the incidence of D and V even when it seems to be prevalent in the local schools. (Touches wood!)

korkycat

Great advice already, I would only add to those, to spray the frequently touched surface areas such as door handles or door plates, taps, toilet flushes etc. I've got very good at opening push doors with my elbows and remembering to push lift buttons with my knuckles or with my sleeve pulled over my finger!

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

Thank you to everyone who has replied. Lots of really helpful advise which I am going to use.

The bit I am struggling with is a definition of what actually qualifies as diahorrhoea. How many loose nappies and in what time period? Need to make this a definite so staff know and are following this and so we can argue this with the parent as we are finding we have to justify our diagnosis!