Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Cll Workshop Session

Hi all,

I think ive bitten off more than i can chew, said I am going to run, a weeks worth of workshop sessions, Arrgg

the plan is that parents can come into the setting for the first hour of each session (9 in total!)

and im planning on doing activities to encourage CLL skills, from a recent questionnaire parents have highlighted that they want to know how we teach this! not sure what they are expecting tho, think they are thinking it reading and writing! bear in mind we are a playgroup.

I have deceided to do, sound baskets, reading a story, modelling language skills i.e repeating back etc, singing, circle time the idea is that one member of staff will man each activity, so will need a few different actvities on the go.

then my brain as packed in! anyone got any suggestions or tips... that i can use, this is the very first time we have run any such event... and have raised a few eyebrows with the staff when i suggested it, so have to follow it through and need it to be a success. it was also put on our Ofsted report that we dont involve parents in their childs learning/development and i'm hoping that this will tick that box, when i add it to our sef..

thanks

MK5698

I'd also try to include some fine motor activities. Threading, picking things up with tweezers, using playdough and put some cards out to explain how writing skills develop. Painting on easels and table top is my all time favourite way of promoting early writing skills. Gross motor muscels need to develop too.

I'd also try to include some fine motor activities. Threading, picking things up with tweezers, using playdough and put some cards out to explain how writing skills develop. Painting on easels and table top is my all time favourite way of promoting early writing skills. Gross motor muscels need to develop too.

I think this could be almost important than the other more obvious activities.

Dont forget jigsaw puzzles, matching and memeory games, nursery rhymes and finger rhymes too.

Write dance? I've never used it myself but have seen it used and it's fantastic and I'm sure with a bit of help from the lovely people on here you could use your own music and do something similar without having to buy the pack

Write dance? I've never used it myself but have seen it used and it's fantastic and I'm sure with a bit of help from the lovely people on here you could use your own music and do something similar without having to buy the pack

I did this in a parents workshop, we used songs they knew (I think it was sticky kids or similar) and made our own movements on large sheets of paper fixed to the tables. The parents called it 'writing to music' and many of them reported how they had carried it on and done it at home, finding it quite therapeutic.

My setting has been involved in the ECAT project and we recently got a speech and language thereapist assistant to come in and do a little session with the parents - that went down really well!

Check out the 'talking points' website

www.talkingpoint.org.uk

--under the parent section there are some really good resources - they break them down into age brackets and give examples of activities for each age under 'how to support your child' and key points of development for each age.

We also have a dvd called 'chatter matters' which we have found really useful - think it costs about £6?

I'll have a think..trying to think what else we have done..

Phase 1 of the letters and sounds document has lots of interesting activities, especially those regarding the importance of listening skills.

At a setting where I once worked, we asked our early years advisor to give a talk to parents as so many were asking when their children would be reading/writing etc. She did a good 'ice breaker' activity with the parents whereby she gave them each a piece of paper, asked them to write their signature, she then asked them to swop their piece of paper with the person next to them, they were then asked to write over the other persons signature using their left hand/opposite hand - of course it was very difficult - she told them that this is what it was like for children being asked to write over dotted lines. An eye opener.

Edited by Guest

. She did a good 'ice breaker' activity with the parents whereby she gave them each a piece of paper, asked them to write their signature, she then asked them to swop their piece of paper with the person next to them, they were then asked to write over the other persons signature using their left hand/opposite hand - of course it was very difficult - she told them that this is what it was like for children being asked to write over dotted lines. An eye opener.

I love this idea Sam. I'm sure I've seen something similar but using Chinese writing. I can't remember exactly what the activity was but it did a good job of getting the point across

Hi

Thanks everyone, for your ideas and tips, some useful information there. off now to look at the resources and website talking point.

thanks again, got a meeting with all the staff this week to brainstorm together.

and we have a few weeks yet before the event.

thanks

MK5698

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)