Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Entrance Criteria

Hi everyone

wasn't sure where to put this but felt it would be better in this section as we are a maintained nursery. We are full for next academic year 2011/12 with a waiting list of 15(we must be doing something right!) Had a discussion with head today about criteria for entry as some feel they can attend when they want to, taking a week here and ther without explanation, so made phone calls to tell them their place will be taken as we have a waiting list for this year as well. head said sen and looked after children take priorityand then siblings in the main school but not sure about nursery. My argument was why should some take priority over those who have been on waiting list for nearly 2 years even though they have no siblings in main school, when people who have children in main school think they dont need to fill a form in until their child is due to start even though reminders are sent out!! What are other maintained nurseries criteria?

I'm pre-school but at my children's school the nursery admissons is done by the LEA following the criteria of

Children in Care

Catchment Area

Sibling in school

there maybe a few other cases attached on to the end but the 1st 3 covers it all I think.

I know that it does cause problems with parents who feel that 'Sibling in school' should come higher than catchment area - there are always lots of children who don't get into 'nursery'

I'm pre-school but at my children's school the nursery admissons is done by the LEA following the criteria of

Children in Care

Catchment Area

Sibling in school

there maybe a few other cases attached on to the end but the 1st 3 covers it all I think.

I know that it does cause problems with parents who feel that 'Sibling in school' should come higher than catchment area - there are always lots of children who don't get into 'nursery'

You will need to check the LA policy on this, there should be one. In my last LA, you could not use sibling in school as one of the criteria. This was because it discriminates against children whose families prefer to send siblings to a school without a nursery class. This of course may no longer be the case, so worth checking at local level.

We had a long list which included SEN; looked after; Children on CP plan; parents with disability; cant remember the others, before moving to distance from school.

Had a discussion with head today about criteria for entry as some feel they can attend when they want to, taking a week here and ther without explanation, so made phone calls to tell them their place will be taken as we have a waiting list for this year as well.

As I read it, this is to take places away from irregular - non attenders and then give them to others on the list???

Can you do that? I'm not sure what the legalities here would be. The parent has the right to 15 hours funded flexible provision. If they choose not to use it all can the school take it away from them??

I would check that aspect before offering to others I think.

Cx

I work in maintained nursery and we (actually me) have always done our own admission stuff.

I go by waiting list and date of birth but generally speaking because we also run a private session straight after the maintained session with the same staff in the same place (!!!) where parents can also use their 15 hour entitlement we have never been absolutely and utterly FULL.

I do use the waiting list though as my main criteria.

For instance in January I was approached for a morning place but had 2 left that had been "promised" for children starting in April.

Both actually have siblings in the morning nursery class and have been on the list since they were born!! It would be impractical for them to have to take up an afternoon!

This parent wanted a morning place but I explained we were full, and we discussed whether she worked (she did not) or whether there were other factors which meant she couldnt use an afternoon place (there werent) but she did not want an afternoon place.

I told her of other nurseries locally she could try but two days later she was back saying actually she would have an afternoon place after all.

I think to get a place in January is pretty lucky really!!

I just read that back and it isnt very helpful at all regards the original post!!! Sorry. :o

With the single funding formula every bum on a seat is going to count so I suppose those who are only attending here and there are they also going elsewhere?

They can obviously do that, but if they arent maybe they want their place open to use as and when, and you would still get paid for the hours if they have said they want 15 hours.

I am sure criteria for admission will have to change or Heads might only have children in nursery who will do all 15 hours with them as they try to keep their finances sorted.

Sorry not a helpful post at all!!!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)