Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Parents Contribution To Learning Journals

I am looking to encourage my parents to contribute more to them. Does anyone have have any suggestions of how to do this please?

Also thinking of devising a A4 sheet to use when have parent meetings:

Child's name

Date:

Key worker:

Key worker's comments:

Parents comments:

Next steps:

Do you think I need to include anything else?

Apart from sheets parents complete at the beginning of the journey, i.e. "All about Me", Questions I would like to ask, Things I would like you to know about my child, etc. Every 12 weeks we have catch up assessment sheets, so together with the items you are suggesting, we deliver a short report on the 6 areas of learning, sometimes we don't fill in every area, but at least 3 of them. These are discussed with parent, parent takes home the file to share with family members and then returns it.

Families also give us photographs throughout the year and at the beginning of each new school year we ask parents to complete an up-date sheet about their child and what they feel their current interests are.

We do it by when we send out appointment letter for keyworker day each term I alos attach a prents comments sheet with the date, parents signture, keyworker signiture at the bottom.

It says at the top something like.

"We value and appreciate your involvement into your child's learning jouney with us and would appreciate if you could use this space to give comments on what you feel your child has achieved this term. Please also feel free to let us know of any favourite toys, tv programmes, or other interests your child has at the moment in order for us to plan exciting activities for your child.

Apart from sheets parents complete at the beginning of the journey, i.e. "All about Me", Questions I would like to ask, Things I would like you to know about my child, etc. Every 12 weeks we have catch up assessment sheets, so together with the items you are suggesting, we deliver a short report on the 6 areas of learning, sometimes we don't fill in every area, but at least 3 of them. These are discussed with parent, parent takes home the file to share with family members and then returns it.

This is something else I am thinking of doing too - termly update of how child is progressing. I have seen an example of this somewhere but can't remember where :o Will get hunting online I think.

We do it by when we send out appointment letter for keyworker day each term I alos attach a prents comments sheet with the date, parents signture, keyworker signiture at the bottom.

It says at the top something like.

"We value and appreciate your involvement into your child's learning jouney with us and would appreciate if you could use this space to give comments on what you feel your child has achieved this term. Please also feel free to let us know of any favourite toys, tv programmes, or other interests your child has at the moment in order for us to plan exciting activities for your child.

I like the idea of sending it home with appointment letter.

I'm really just looking to evidence what is said I think in the meetings so that I have an idea which staff I feel needs extra support in this

In our welcome pack i put two slips in - one wow slip and a special news one, together with an explanation of what they are for. more are available on the notice board. Twice a year we have a catch up on interests sheet that they fill in and return to us and we put it in their learnings journeys. we ask for photos, and if we know they have done something special or have had a special occasion, we'll pop a note in diaries asking if we can have a photo for the LJ. A lot of our parents are pretty good at sending things in, some not so good! we also put a parents comment box in the LJ's when they are sent home every term.

My_Unique_Story_to_send_to_others_as_example.doc

We have adapted Kents "My Unique Story" for our setting. We send it home for the parents to complete their bit and we reply in our bit then discuss at parent appointments.

We do this on entry, March and July. Together with Learning journeys, Home/school sharing books and end of FSPP sheet, this makes up the child's report of their development throughout their time with us.

Guest pamgreen

Our parents start the learning journal by completing My Unique Child profile. It is based on the Southampton Learning journey. We explain when the child starts nursery that the learning journal is a joint project between the parents and nursery. we encourage parents to add WOW moments & photographs of significant events in their child's life. We have three parent consultation evenings a year where the key person completes a profile for each child, parents at this time are asked for their input and are able to take the learning journal home. We also ask the parents to complete an update form so that any significant events in their child's life are noted.

We too send home sheets to capture WOW moments from home. These go on our news board first after being celebrated at group time, and then into the child's LJ. We also send home Stories from Home sheets which children can use at any time for a special event and present to the group at group time. Great for CLL. We have a summative record of development which we complete just before our bi-annual parents meetings and these also have a box on them for parent comments. Like all things, there are parents who do these things and parents who don't, although sometimes this can be surprising!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)