Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Anyone Understand Blogs?

mundia

Ok so its the bank holiday weekend which I intend to spend planting my veggies and its pouring with rain, so I thought Id try (again) to start my blog and have a moan about it, instead of having to go on about it here....

But the how to is still escaping me. Thise of you that have done it, please put me out of my misery and explain what I have to do in the smplest Englsih you know. Please.

otherwise I shall just go on all weekend about my garden, or dawn chorus day (see the calendar).........

To be honest I can't really remember what I did! There was something I had to press which said 'Activate my blog' in My Controls I think. Then it was just a case of setting up the categories and writing some stuff in - pretty much like writing a message on the forum. The important thing is to make sure that any text you enter you then 'publish' rather than leave in draft format, otherwise it will never be seen. :D Sorry - this is probably the worst explanation in the world. Looks like you'll have to wait for someone with more sense to come along. :o

What I can't quite get my head around is what on earth I would have to say that anyone else would be interested in reading about.

Mind you, that doesn't stop me posting here, does it?

Maz

Excuse my ignorance but what exactly is the "blogs" forum for?

30528[/snapback]

If I'm right, its a sort of online diary where you can record your thoughts, feelings and actions. And unlike a hand-written journal, because its online anyone and everyone can read it.

I think 'blog' is short for 'web log', which have been used when people want to document a particularly interesting/stressful time of their lives: Sandra Howard is doing one at the moment covering the General Election campaign, as an example.

I'm not sure whether Forum blogs are part of the site that only members can access, though.

Maz

OK, I will try simple english.

You first click "My Controls" which is in the "top nav", or the little green bar.

Then in your menu, which runs down the left side of the page, you will see a link that says something about activating your blog, or you blog settings or something.

Click that and a new page will open. You can fill in a whole load of boxes of info, but if you scroll down, you can just hit "submit" and your blog will get made.

Then click the "My Controls" link again, and click the link which says "Your Blog"

This will open your blog, and allow you to post to it. You can post just like on the forum, or you can post in html, but you probably don't want to even think about that!

Hope it helped.

Glad that someone with more sense arrived! Thanks Bernard. :D (Of course, it was exactly what I'd said in the first place, but mine came out like jibberish instead of English. xD ) I don't know what the point of it is either Lucy but I'm just using it to put in vaguely interesting (to me) stuff that I happen upon during my travels round the net. Don't think I'm quite ready for my autobiography though. :o

thanks guys. I got as far as activate my blog but its all those boxes you mentioend that I dont understand. What options am I supposed to choose as I dont dont now what they mean?

Thank goodness the weathare is better now

Those little boxes you can just leave out. The first one lets you call your blog what you want. The only other one would be the first tick box where it says:

"Private Blog? If you tick that, only you will be able to see the blog. Otherwise, the other settings are probably what you want, and you can always change them later on.

The point of blogs??? I don't know. If you want to share your random musings with the world they are perfect.

There are other reasons as well, but unless you have a company, or a big website to support, its just an online diary.

But it is a wonderful May day outside, so why waste time blogging!!

yes thanks for that then, Ive spent enough time out doors today, Im still trying to warm up following the dawn chorus day celebrations.

and the garden is far too sludgy after the storms to venture there...

so blogging it is then