Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Non Fiction Books About African Animals

I'm hoping to run a topic on animals in Africa with my children reserching and finding out facts about them. There is obviously a lot of information available on the internet, however I would really like some non fiction books they will be able to access independently on the topic as well. Does anyone have any recommendations they can make? I'm finding it har to decide which ones to go for and which will be simple enough for my year one class to access themselves (I have some very good readers, but many non fiction books have an overwhelming amount of difficult text on each page which puts the children off).

Thanks Panders. It does seem to be one of those topics where no matter who I ask nothing really springs to mind. Surely someone out there must know of some books for this area? I'm sure it's a popular one!

Just did a quick search on Amazon and found these - there were also some nice story books about zebras/loins/monkeys etc.

South African Animals [Paperback]

Lindiwe Mabuza (Author), Alan Baker (Illustrator)

We All Went on Safari: A Counting Journey Through Tanzania [illustrated] [Paperback]

Laurie Krebs

(Author), Julia Cairns (Illustrator)

Hope it helps :o

Thanks Jayne that first book does look really nice, although more of a story than I was hoping for. I wanted some 'proper' non-fiction fact books. (Though I may be out of luck on that one!) I was hoping to get some recommendations simply because although I can search on Amazon and ebay myself it's hard to judge the level of the text inside the book or the age range it would be suitable for.

Ah well, thank you for looking anyway Panders, much appreciated :o

That book does look nice, but again not really showing the children what a 'proper' non fiction book looks like. Oh the joys of teaching non fiction to year one children with so few good quality, suitable examples out there. Almost makes me want to write some!

I have used an absolutely beautiful non-fiction book with a narrative called Ape by Martin Jenkins. The illustrations are mesmerising and the children were totally in awe. We also looked at footage of apes from archive Richard Attenbourgh. It really brought the book alive. would highly reccommend this book.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)