Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Real Looking Bricks

Hi all,

I am looking to buy blocks for our construction area and am looking to buy the real looking red bricks or breeze blocks. Does any one know where I could any from????

Thanks

Kate :o

We got the set from tts, they love them! They spent ages building this on the astro, we got the cement mixer and power tools too!

We got our with Tesco for Schools vouchers! (via TTS I think!) and the children love them!

Another approach is to just use real bricks - a lot cheaper, especially if you have a parent who is a builder!

We use the air bricks so they are not very heavy and the children mix sand etc. for cement. I'm a big fan of using real objects wherever possible for the learning to manage risk factor.

We have some of those bricks at our school, they are lovely but my only problem with them is that they are so expensive and you get so few in a set that you can't really build very much with them. When the reception teacher showed me the set she had bought my only thought was "how many desperately needed small world resources could we have bought with the money you've spent on them!" Moo you are very lucky to have enough of them to build a structure like that! Getting air bricks instead sounds like a great alternative and one I hadn't thought of so I might suggest it at some point if we do building as a topic again.

i like the sound of using real bricks too! We have some lovely stumps from the local timber yard. I spent four days sometime last year putting together a VERY comprehensive bid for the 3rd, and probably final, capital grant round, went for £28,000 and got £15,000!

To be honest I was absolutely amazed, all went on resources which was possibly the highlight of the year, we were very lucky and I'm not sure I agree with the principal of it but it was a do or don't situation and I went for it.

Thanks everyone for your replies, I have thought about using real bricks but the thought of them scares me. We have really fussy parents and they blow the slightest injury out of proportion so thats why i thought about getting the foam bricks instead. Im torn between the two because i do agree they are sooooooo expensive and I could spend the money on so much more but i also think the childrens safety is priority and some of our children are wild and i know accidents will happen. Having saying this i think the children should experience real life objects as much as possible exploring texture ohhhhhh as you can see im torn and dont know what to do. I might try the real life bricks and see how i get on. Has any one done a risk assessment form on the real bricks and wouldnt mind sharing it with me.

kate :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)