Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

New Child Started

Hi Everyone

I know I should prob know this but I am an NQT and am being moderated this year and want to get it right.

I had a new child start in my class in January and her previous school sent me a print out with all the scale points with highlighter showing the ones she has met yet they have sent no evidence with this. The child has not shown ability to meet all of these scale points and when I put her details into the electronic profile no data had been entered.

Now I am unsure. Do I enter the points the previous teacher has told me she can meet backdated or do I start fresh and put the current date when I see her meeting these points??

Thanks in advance xx

I personally use just my own data and make a note that they only joined me part way through the year. It often takes a while for someone to settle down enough to show that they are 'doing' different points, especially if they've moved part way through the year.

I also think it's more consistent to use your own judgement for everyone as near as possible. I usually find that by the end of the year the new one has achieved all the points marked off by a previous school and moved on some (depending on when they joined).

I'd be interested to know if there's any 'official' view on this though.

I'd go with HelenD26 and use my own observations, perhaps keeping an eye out for what the previous school are saying she can do to begin with, although as you get to know her, you'll know from your observations what is realistic for her. I'd also start afresh when entering data as this is what she has achieved with you and when - whatever she can already do will go down as her entry date, or possibly as 'pre entry' - can't remember if that's an option though on eProfile?! There is, however, the ability to select month of entry - so it will show up when she started.

The child has not shown ability to meet all of these scale points and when I put her details into the electronic profile no data had been entered.

I think you have to be wary of dismissing the current summative judgements outright - these have been made by people who have possibly known the child for longer than you have! This is representing the child's previous best, which maybe she is not yet demonstrating in your setting because it is different and she is adjusting to it. 2 months is very little time for you to see the full range of skills across all the aspects that are covered by the profile. I this instance we have to have professional trust in colleagues' judgements, like we do with information from nursery settings etc.

Personally I would record her current outcomes from her previous setting and use this as a starting point. This does not hold you to anything and your final judgements in the summer term are the "official" ones that matter anyway. As for the eProfile I think you would need a CTF file of her data from the previous school to import.

Cx

Edited by catma

catma - you said it better than me! I didn't mean to imply that I just dismissed the previous setting's judgements just that I used my own as a 'this is where they are now' indicator because of that settling down period and that by the end of the year the previous setting and I were in agreement.

I would be really upset if the setting a little girl is my class is moving to discounted my judgements but at the same time understand you have to feel confident about the judgements. I am sending her learning story with evidence in so hopefully they will feel more comfortable accepting my data. Last year when a new child joined I used the old schools data, initially they seemed high but once the child settled in they demonstrated they could do it and by the end of the year I was confident that she could do them and more.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)