Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help With Research Please

Guest Brook

Guest Brook

Hi again, Im not sure if this is the right place but I hope you can help?

I am currently investigating ways of persuading more men and minority ethnic groups to join the early years proffession particularly as teachers. can anyone point me in the direction of any research you are aware of or any strategies your colleges, schools or LEAs use to recruit from under represented groups; and how successful they have been?

Any information apreciated. thanks.

I think the low wages keeps a lot of men from early years, plus the fact that some people unfortunatly still see men in early years settings as prospective peadophilles, or at the least weird for wanting to be in what has traditionally being a female environment, although not so much if they are a teacher in a school. I wasnt aware there was a under representation from minority ethnic groups, the nursery my friend manages has a high number of young Asian women working in it, so i suppose I'm used to seeing that. I dont know of any research to help you though, but good luck :D

That's an interesting point Rea, about child protection issues around men in childcare. There was an interesting letter in today's Nursery World about an Ofsted inspector who told a nursery manager that "90% of men are child abusers". And really believed it, apparently.

If people like this have views like this, men will never be more highly represented in the field (leaving aside small matters like pay and status).

Can't help you with research though Brook - have you checked organisations such as NIACE/NFER and the good old DfES?

Maz

Brook, if you can get hold of a copy of the Pre-school Learning Alliance's Under 5 contact magazine for March, there is an article about this. I'll try to scan it for you but I really cant promise to do it right. :o

Have you checked out he Thomas Coram Institute I think they have something on recruiting and issues surrounding this. If I find anything in my travels will let you know. I know my local EYDCP have been trying to recruit in this area but not sure how, or how successful.

Nikki

Guest Brook

Thanks folk,

Rea I would be grateful if you have the energy(?) to send onto Steve for me, I appreciate how busy you are.

I have come across some stuff from the unions and dfes which make an interesting read, and I will look at the Thomas Coram institute so thanks for that tip Nicola. Id still love to hear from anyone else with ideas.

Hi Rea -

Sorry, I found the email you sent (I don't often use that address!).

I can't open it either I'm afraid! What program did you scan it in with? If you are able to re-scan it at some stage, and if the program offers you the option, ask it to scan it in a different format - the following should do: TIFF, PNG, GIF, JPG or BMP.

:)

Didn't you know Rea: they've remade Trumpton to bring it up to date. Pugh, Pugh, Barney McGrew, Cuthbert, Dibble and Grubb have retired.

Step forward Officers TIFF, PNG, GIF, JPG and BMP for duty.

Maz

Oh no - you forgot to put the babelfish in your ear before my last post!

If you can find a stamp and envelope that behave better than your scanner Rea, stick in the post!

1, Southdown Avenue

Lewes

BN7 1EL

:)

I think Brooks probably done a bunk now :o . I havent got the copy anymore so all I can do is hope Brook can continue researching without the info (it was only a small article anyway) Now I'm going to concentrate on my cold xD

Guest Brook

no I havent done a bunk Rea, just been busy reading up on research!

Not to worry, thanks for trying though, and you get that cold better!

I don't know if this of any help or if I am just repeating everyone elsse. I know a man who is trained as an early years teacher. He found it difficult to get a job once qualified. Although this may have been due to the area he was applying (i.e not many jobs) but I often wonder if he was descriminated against being a man. pity though cause he was one of the best teachers I've known

On a slightly different note I wonder how much of the predjudice is from the parents. Many feel uneasy about leaving their children in male company.

Also talking to another male collegue I know he says he feels very vunerable in the classroom. Especially during p.e. in fact he asks that at least one female teacher wanders in to cover him against alligations. What has the world come to!! :oxD

• 2 months later...

probably a bit late now, but thought it might help any1 else interested in this topic. The PLA have published a report on barriers to men in childcare. You can get a copy by emailing andrew.fletcher@preschool.org.uk