Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Growth?

Hi our topic next half term is growth.Just wondering if anyone has any realy good ideas for activities or resources?

I really want to make a miniture garden with the children but i am not at all green fingered!!

Help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Catherine

For a quick grow - and might perhaps look good in your miniature garden - mustard and cress seeds. You might consider making their initial letter in cress -that could be fun, just cut a wad of kitchen roll in the shape of their letter, dampen and spread with seeds, they will be up a few days later.

One year I had 4 geranium plants

1 watered and cared for extra specially...gave baby bio and talked to it

1 kept in a box....no light

1 overwatered.....then when started to look sad we stopped over watering and fed it and cared for it

1 not watered....ignored until it died

Talked about caring for things and what we need to grow

All worked really well except I named them and one mum came in and said how sorry she was to hear my frind Frank had died....you got it, it was geranium number 4

Grow carrot tops in saucers. Make lovely 'trees'.

Grow sprouting seeds in glass jars. Mung beans etc.

Rinse in water daily and they are ready to eat in a week.

Broad bean seeds in glass jar (held in place with blotting paper)

Children can view process - put some in sideways or upside down and they can see that roots always go down (geotropism) and shoots go towards light (phototropism).

Reception class I help in grew cress on a pile of compost on a 'tuf' spot.

Look at the children's own growth - measuring heights, feet, hands,

Get parents to send in outlines of rest of families hands so children can compare.

korkycat

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)