Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Continuous Provision Help

Hi

We are just in the process of revamping our continuous provision

We are NOT a pack away setting but seem to pack everything up everyday and then set everything up the next day and by everything I mean everything small world, sand, water construction, role play, jigsaws, dough, etc etc...

I think it is too much (just this is what was done before I came to the setting) and as as we are setting up everyday it is not really child initiated as the adults decide what will go in each area each day. We do have resources on the shop floor but they are in large boxes or trays and if the children get something out they get everything out which causes a big mess and things get broken and mixed up or lost - so we try to encourage them not to get things out which kind of defeats the whole objective

We have decided as a team to set up areas with a selection of resources so children can self select resources

Now the problem lies with storage and shelving - I have visited settings to look at their continuous provision and looked at loads of pics on the net and most settings seem to have the open shelving units for there resources - we don't have these (only have drawer units which hold too much and are not easily accessible - and we have no spare money to buy any so I was looking to you creative people to offer creative and cheap / easy solutions to how to separate areas and store resources so children can use them

Hope that all makes sense

xxx

how about halfing the amount of stuff you put in the draws?

i had this problem in my writing area i had a draw unit so i took half the draws out and only left a few.

also have you looked at just having a few things out and modelling play in that area (play with the children in there as your adult lead activity) then slowly add more items.

could you also send a waned list home to see if any parents are getting rid of shelving that might be off use?

hope that helps

Emma

how about halfing the amount of stuff you put in the draws?

i had this problem in my writing area i had a draw unit so i took half the draws out and only left a few.

also have you looked at just having a few things out and modelling play in that area (play with the children in there as your adult lead activity) then slowly add more items.

Yep - lots to be said about LESS stuff.

Honey

What about the hang up fabric pocket wotsits? You can't fit much in those so you'd have no choice but to only have a few things out... or do what emz said and take some drawers out. Easier and cheaper than my idea!

Oh yeah forgot about that - I was a member years ago - but left because I got hundreds of emails everyday - will look into signing up again - thanks

You can set this up so you dont get any emails and just read th eposts on the web or have them sent as a daily digest.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)