Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Parent/setting Responsiblity

Greenfinch

Hi everyone - just wanted to see what you wise people all think or if anyone has had to deal with this before. We are a private nursery.

Sorry it's a bit wordy!

We have a parent who often comes to pick their child up at 5.20. We are open til 6.00 and the parent has booked til' 6.00.

This child is often the last to be picked up which is no problem.

The parent wants to chat with the staff about anything other than her child often until 6.05. They have tried to be really polite and chat but then have concerns with the child.We think she feels a bit, well I've paid til 6 so I'll stay and just chat to you etc. and may well enjoy the company, chat etc.

This would be fine (ish!) except the child gets really restless and mum just ignores him etc. he runs around and is tired so it gets a bit awkward trying not to undermine her but caring for the child aswell.

Now to my question -

Mum has been there since 5.20 when she came to collect the child- are we still legally responsible for him as she has paid til' 6.00 even though she's come to pick up?

I think we are - but, she has got his coat on, picked him up then put him back down etc, and it feels very difficult.

Does anyone have guidelines ie, a parent is responsible for their own child from when they pick them up from the setting etc.

I would appreciate any comments on other similar experiences.

I'd say that if she's there she is responsible but you should still make him follow the rules of your setting. Just because mom's there he shouldnt be running all over if that isnt usually allowed.

But I could be wrong :o

I think we all get this happening from time to time. As soon as mum is on the premises the children's behaviour changes, and getting them to do as you would normally wish them to do gets really difficult the child is accepting mum's authority then - (such as it may be,) and not yours.

If this is the only child left you are looking after at that time - I can well understand your difficulty! If she is paying for too long, could her fees be reduced and she leaves when she arrives to pick him up or are your fees not as flexible as that?

It's not as if you can say we must get on and clear up now because if she wasn't there it's not what you would be doing - you would be looking after the boy!

She probably does see it as him accessing the "play" facilities until 6p.m. - exactly what she has paid for. Could you suggest you all do something together - such as, I know.............. let's show mummy how we play............ or sing............ and she can join in that with you rather than you or your staff watching him charge about the place.

Great response from Panders and Rea. That sort of situation often crops up in my (home) setting and I make it clear in my polices that I bow to the greater authority of the parent when they are present. If it looks like parent wants to chat I say with a laugh, 'they're yours now!' For insurance purposes I suppose I'm responsible for equipment and environmental safety, but behaviour is the parent's job. Everybody knows where they stand then.

Could it be that Mum is really wanting to talk about something important?

Honey