Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Sen Funding

thanks Sazz your getting £60 more than we are at the moment and i've got two children with sen needs every afternoon! i'm getting a bit cross ...i really want to support these children but i cannot afford the staff they need our borough is saying there is no money but schools get an sen budget wether they have any children with needs or not xD my little chap in the afternoon cannot be left for a second without a support assistant and the other children are suffering because we just dont have enough hands :( ...i'm really upset , my setting has been at the front of supporting sen needs in pre-schools for the last 10 years but there has always been financial support :o

We get ours through Access Fund - through our disability team. That is the max we can get and it's designed to provide extra support for the child but not one to one support. More needs to be done for SEN children. Can you not get a parent helper in? Will at least give another pair of hands

I have one child that I get the max funded hours for, 15 a week, even though he attends for 33 hours a week, then 2 children who get 5 hours funded support each week, one of them is with us for 55 hours a week the other for 10, better than nothing but rubbish really!

I always find that getting the funding is the easy bit, finding the cover is the hardest!!!

I know that feeling. I'm currently being told how to deal with my child with SEN despite the people telling me having no experience of children with SEN and who have never worked with kids. But go with what you know. Do you have review meetings for them? Or do you get extra advice and support for them?

janny im really interested in your reply...are these children all statemented? it seems quite rare to get so much additional funding .

Sazz ...i am getting so upset about sen support...the government want more and more children in mainstream as 'special' schools are so expensive..then they take away all the funding xD our LA have given us lots of support in the past and thankfully all my staff have lots of sen experience but it now seems to be taking a long time to sort any support out for the children. i have received a report back on one of them today..telling me he needs to go to salt (er doh!)and offering help if i need it in future...otherwise nothing! the other chap had an observation done some weeks ago and i have had nothing since...except being told the money that was offered is not available :( just as well we are proactive and have set iep's spoken to parents done team around the child(ha ha!...that would be us then and the parents) If i have no replies by next week i may have to raise a caf...very few done in this area so far so might have the desired effect :o

Hi finleysmaid, no none of the children are statemented, all are 3 years old. Maybe access to funding depends on where you are in the country and your local LEA? I'm in Oxfordshire and I have to say the EYSEN Team are very good and supportive.

we are on SFF, we dont get any 'add on's ' for SEN, but if a sen child attends for less than their 15 hours -we are allowed to claim the full 15 hours, as long as we send of copies of any IEP's (as evidance the child has SEN) and the additional money must be used to assist the SEN child (and we have to be able to prove that !)

we havent currently any statemented children -so not sure if we do get any extra financial help tbh.

ah fimbo ..i had forgotten that we were able to claim more hours! unfortunately they are both 15 hour children...i might just have to go down a different route, our parish council has helped us out before with a one off payment i might go and sniff that avenue out :o

• 2 months later...

just for interest i had a conversation with our local councillor today and had a moan about this...he was really cross and said that his council had put extra money aside to provide for this and for safeguarding ...i responded by saying it was not getting to ground level...he said that if we did not get the funding he wanted to know why and who had made that decision!...so if you are having problems with funding contact your local councillor and see what they say :o perhaps there is money in the pot after all xD

• 4 months later...

alas my last post on this seems to have come to nothing. so decided i would revist this topic to see if anyone had any advice. I have today accepted another child with ASD difficulties (lovely chap/lovely family) my heart will always say yes but (and this is a big but!) i am really struggling financially to support this decision. My LEA have told me that it is very unlikely i will get any more than 6 hours of additional funding for this young man and yet he needs an inclusion assistant to be with him constantly (he has no verbal communication) uses pecs/ has no danger awareness/ is dangerous with scissors xD /and bolts at any opportunity....how is everyone else supporting these situations financially? is there anyone else i can go to...would the local autism society be able to help? any ideas welcome :o i have offered the family 15 hours but Mum really wants full day care!

Can you try agencies such as Family Friends? I know they offer support in the short term, but it might be worth a try. Have you considered asking for volunteers?

I was just looking for something else and came across Windsor and Maidenhead Voluntary Action. They might be able to help you. Their website is here.

good ideas but the problem really comes in the fact that i will have to allocate an experienced member of staff to this chap (and pay for their 5 sessions) but they will only be able to support one child. It is neither fair on the other children because they lose a practitioner (and the ratios are scewed) or on the child in question because if i am only getting funded for 2 sessions i may only be able to support him for that. It just seems so unfair (and schools get an sen budget....not enough...but they do get one...we get nothing :o )

Oh finleysmaid you sound exactly the same as my pre-school setting.

We have two children with SEN (who ideally need one to one), both in all day every day but there are no funds to pay for this (charity committee run). Staff are stressed, children missing out, its all a nightmare. Add onto that the CAF meetings, safeguarding meetings that manager goes on too. She is included in ratio but struggles to make it into the room some days. Its just not fair.

We too have been told that there is very little funding..think we currently get 2 hours for each per day. During this time they get the required one to one but then after that its down to other ratioed staff. You really have to watch these children all the time which is difficult when there are 2 staff with 16 children as both children with SEN are included in the 1:8 ratio. The committee say there just isnt any money to fund getting extra staff in.