Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Creative? Or Not.....

Hi all,

I'm currently studying for my foundation degree and I have been observing my practice in supporting children's learning in the outdoor area.

Well, my observation of one little boy was just amazing! He has been hooked on dinosaurs for ages now, and we have just bought some great 'giant' ones, which we (the boy and I!) decided to take outside and make a habitat.....

When he decided that the dinoworld needed some grass, I suggested that he go and look for some, which he did...... he came back with the square of artificial grass that we use inside! :o

Well my first thought was, "how creative", but then I began to wonder what this could tell me about this learning, and thinking, that he wouldn't think to go an pick some of the grass that was growing within a metre of where we were sat, and had purposefully gone to look for some pretend grass (for his pretend land, maybe?).

Just wondered if anyone had any thoughts - to help my own though processes!

Many thanks,

No theories behind my thoughts, but yes my first thoughts were 'clever and creative' but you are right, i wonder if it is a product of the manufactured world we now live in? You can buy anything to be anything these days, children aren't interested in using old shirts and fabric for dressing up, they rarely use a cardboard box as a fire station, choosing instead a premade one etc etc. Certainly gets you thinking...

Sorry not much help!

i was wondering if you put this out again tomorrow and put out some props perhaps you could have a basket of grass and the fake stuff too....which one will he choose ? then you could ask him why? has he thought out this process? there may be a practical reason...do the dinosaurs stay on the flat grass better....it could be of course that this chap is highly intelligent and knows that grass did not exist in the time of the dinosaurs :o (no it really didn't!!! xD )

Ah, but did the artificial stuff??? :o LOL

Actually, you could extend that idea, finleysmaid (an idea I really like!)

How about paper, mark-making equipment etc, playdough, fabrics, natural materials such as peat - not all at once, of course, but over time he will have the opportunity to explore and choose surfaces/effects he finds most satisfactory. Lots of opportunity for sustained shared thinking and practising reasoning skills...?

Sue

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)