Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

When To Tell The Parents

Guest jenpercy

Guest jenpercy

It has been said to me that I should not be taking on new children as we plan to close in September - but we can't manage on the childern we have.

SO when should I tell the parents - given that closure could be brought forward if enough of them close ship.

We are currently working on calling in everything owed and attempting to clear a minute daily surplus to pay off £2,500 rent arrears and find £3,000 redundancy

Oh Jenpercy what a dilemma for you, part of me says that you should inform prospective parents of your imminent closure, and i also understand you wanting to stay open as long as possible to clear debts etc,

I think i would get some advice from Early Years as to which way to take this.

Is there no one willing to take it over as a going concern?. Or is this not an option.

Wishing you well x .

Do you have a time scale in mind? Maybe tell everyone you'll be cosing at easter or the summer, that way they have time to find alternative arrangements and you'll still be bring in some money.

I would tell the parents of the children who would be staying on with you in September in the May half term. this will give them time to find a place for september but hopefully not leave you in the lurch for money. The parents whose children are leaving it won't to any way as they will be going.

Having been through a similiar situation parents will abandon ship very quickly. Are you closing because you don't have enough children? can you not do a campaign in the paper saying you are looking for more children or you will have to close. You might be surprised by the support you get from parents.

Hope things sort themsleves out as i said have been there with the premises we were in, but we did a campaign and found a new place which is brilliant.

Do you normally cover the summer holiday? If so, then in plenty of time for parents to find an alternative (1/2 term?) If not then still a few weeks before end of summer, in case other provision shut in the summer.

I guess you could support parents by giving number of Family Information Service, even list of providers, remembering that Childminders may also be useful.

Best of luck

C

Oh Jen! Just to say that I am really sorry that it has come to that for your business. Do you think parents will be shocked to hear that you are closing?

I too would say just after the May half term if you plan to close from the summer holidays. As others have said include in your letter the details of the local children's information service and, with permission, numbers of childminders or other local provision who might be the most obvious first calls for taking on the children after you close. I think this would be a reasonable time frame.

Hi

Don't post on here very often but we are just going through the closure of one of our settings.

We contacted our local FIS and they produced a leaflet with all the options within the area eg childminder vacancies, extended schools activities etc, we then attached this

to our letter to parents informing them of the closure and the reasons behind it. We gave them 3 months notice of closure .Closing the setting is one of the most diffucult decisions i have had to take as you become so attached to the children and parents. But ultimatly it had to be done otherwise we would have gone under financially.

Good Luck

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)