Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Children's Drawers

:o Hi, We are looking at equipment for our new preschool building and one of our issues is childrens drawers. We will have over 100 children attending different sessions throughout the week and really didnt want to have to have over 100 drawers. Currently we use bluetack on the childs name label to attach to the drawers but its time consuming - what do other providers use for children to store their work etc they do during a session or do all use drawers. Any help appreciated. Thanks

we use drawers....................I have seen groups that reverse the drawers, so each one is used by two children ( with a name on each end of the drawer), but I think that can cause more problems than it solves. I have also seen a system of coat hooks for each child, that have a poly pocket hanging on them, and all notes/letters home/bills/artwork go in them, but again that can cause problems. I have also seen piles of artwork laid out on a table in the entrance foyer..........really, it's whatever works for you. I have just bought a lovely new drawer unti fom Community Playthings, clear drawers, a thing of real beauty, we've had loads of really nice comments from parents.

We only have 24 children on our roll at the moment, but we have plastic popper folders for each child and any paperwork they have done goes in their, together with a library book at their last session. All the folders are just stored in a large bag. One member of staff sees to it that work gets sorted into them and they go home each week and parents return them the following week.

A setting I used to work in used big sheets of paper folded in half to form a folder, one for each child with their name written on. Their artwork and any letters etc was slipped inside and the person manning the door at the end of the session would hand out artwork to parents from these. It worked really well. You do need a table or something in the foyer to put them all on though.

we had the same problem as you do.. no room for more drawers but too many children to allocate one each permanently. We did invest in drawers so that each session there were enough for one per child, in our case 20.

In the mornings when self registering there were 2 labels with their name on one for the wall and a smaller one which the children would put on a drawer.. we used Velcro as it was easier than blutak for the children to do... on collecting their goodies at the end of the day with parents they would remove the name and put it in a pot on the top of the cabinet.. we could see at a glance who was not checking and remind them, but most of the time the children were very good at taking parents to check the drawer..

we had tried the laying out on table, giving to children at end of session, and all sorts of variations over the years... this one took less of our time as children could put their things in it during a session and access it themselves, we only had to add the paintings, letters etc or leave any models on top for collection...

:o Hi, We are looking at equipment for our new preschool building and one of our issues is childrens drawers. We will have over 100 children attending different sessions throughout the week and really didnt want to have to have over 100 drawers. Currently we use bluetack on the childs name label to attach to the drawers but its time consuming - what do other providers use for children to store their work etc they do during a session or do all use drawers. Any help appreciated. Thanks

Hi we put sticky back velcro on the back of our cards and the end of the drawers and that works a treat. :)

Hi we put sticky back velcro on the back of our cards and the end of the drawers and that works a treat. :)

Sorry should explain we have one set of 21 drawers for the children. We have 20 children in a session, but 60 through out the week. We also use this as a self registration for the children at the beginning of each session. The children just velcro their cards onto the velcro on the drawer ends. We have been doing this for about 4 years and it has been very successful. Each drawer card has the child's name on it and a picture of something that is sigificant to the individual child. Tooth

Lot's of great ideas here already!

We were in the same position last year so I bought one of these....can't insert a pic but have attached! It's a portable suspension file trolley, each file is labelled, the same image as cloakroom peg etc, inside is the child's clear plastic folder in which their home school book, art, invoices and so on go.

They have been a success, the children can easily access them and I can wheel it into the office to sort out when it get's in a state or to file newsletters!

post-34481-1296401439_thumb.jpg

Hi

We have 48 children on role at the moment and we use draws, each child has their own draw rather that sharing or swapping!! Takes up a bit of space but they are all on wheels (gratstack system) and push back against the wall, we're not a pack away setting which does help!!

Kris

Hi moo20

Seems like a great idea, for art work, letters etc. Can I ask where you got it form and can you give me an idea of the price of the trolley and ther files (or did it come with files?)?

Thanks

Hi, think the trolley with 50 files was from Consortium, have seen it in GLS too! Think it cost around £40 x