Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Early Years Worker In Cc

I am really on here to pick some brains (please)

Is anyone employed as an Early Years Worker in a Childrens Centre that does not have any nursery provision at all - but only operates 'drop in' parent and tots type of groups?

If so, what is your role as EY worker?

How do you plan and are you expected to follow the EYFS even though there are no children in your care?

Really intrigued to hear from anyone in that situation.

Hi there, there are a few members her doing your role so hopefully they will pop along shortly and share what they do.

When I was a CC teacher, our childcare was provided at another site, so our EY workers had no involvement with that. heir main role was running the stay and play sessions which ran every day but they would also run creches for when parents were attenidng classes; visited families at home alongside the family support worker; supported baby massage or any other grups we ran; supported families wth home learning... just a few examples.

This role will be different in each CC, to reflect the needs of the community. ARe you able to speak to anyone else in your area who is in the same position?

Regarding theEYF S, you will find that it still underpins everything you do via themes and comitments.

Hi there, there are a few members her doing your role so hopefully they will pop along shortly and share what they do.

When I was a CC teacher, our childcare was provided at another site, so our EY workers had no involvement with that. heir main role was running the stay and play sessions which ran every day but they would also run creches for when parents were attenidng classes; visited families at home alongside the family support worker; supported baby massage or any other grups we ran; supported families wth home learning... just a few examples.

This role will be different in each CC, to reflect the needs of the community. ARe you able to speak to anyone else in your area who is in the same position?

Regarding theEYF S, you will find that it still underpins everything you do via themes and comitments.

Thanks Mundia, I am not an EY worker myself but have worked closely with them in my role as Family support worker. But coming from an early years background, I wasn't sure what their 'remit' was - there appeared to be a lot of discrepancies from one children's centre to the next (even though in the same local authority) re planning and using the EYFS or in some cases not using it?! They always appear busy, but am not sure what their role is, as quite often the stay and play and tots sessions were set up by the EY worker then parents left to run it themselves. I am intrigued and curious that's all.

Aha, yes you will find a variety across different childen centres, just as you will for your role and also that of the CC teacher, if there is one. Their remit should be in their job descriptions. Are you still working in family support, and need to understand now where your roles cross (or not); or is it more that you wnat to find out more for future job opportuntities?

Aha, yes you will find a variety across different childen centres, just as you will for your role and also that of the CC teacher, if there is one. Their remit should be in their job descriptions. Are you still working in family support, and need to understand now where your roles cross (or not); or is it more that you wnat to find out more for future job opportuntities?

definitely future job opportunities!

Our LA (wouldn't dream of naming them on here, but you can see where I am from) have created a job that really has got my back up. Its for a level 3 practitioner to work with the CC Teachers as a helping hand for any groups the teacher runs.

...and they are calling it "EYP" which they say are the initials of Early Years Practitioner.

Does anyone else who worked hard to get to EYPS, like me, feel cross about this or am I just being too sensitive?

Does anyone else who worked hard to get to EYPS, like me, feel cross about this or am I just being too sensitive?

Well there is a lot of confusion about it out there, so I'm pretty used to it by now. I myself was invited to attend an Early Years Practitioners network meeting last week, and had to check whether this was something new or our Early Years Professional meeting! :o

It is very misleading to use the term EYP in this context, but won't it look good on someone's CV to say they were an EYP in a Children's Centre? Until they have to explain, of course.

It is a bit galling, given all the work we have to do in order to achieve the Status to have so little value put on EYPS. So I can understand why you're miffed!

You're not alone! I have a student who used the same abbreviation in an assignment recently and I really struggled to give an objective mark because of it! And the number of jobs that are advertised for an "EYP" when they mean something which isn't an Early Years Professional (not that we aren't all professional!).

We were using the term EYP as in practitioner about 8 years ago, so I think possibly this came first.

To make things for complex, when I visit a hen forum for advice on my chooks, EYP stands for eggyolk peritonitis !

Guest countrygirl
I am really on here to pick some brains (please)

Is anyone employed as an Early Years Worker in a Childrens Centre that does not have any nursery provision at all - but only operates 'drop in' parent and tots type of groups?

If so, what is your role as EY worker?

How do you plan and are you expected to follow the EYFS even though there are no children in your care?

Really intrigued to hear from anyone in that situation.

Hi I work in a Children's Centre as the Stay and Play Coordinator and as such oversee the stay and play sessions and lead a team of three playworkers. As the parents stay with their children I like you have no children in my care. I am currently on my validation pathway for EYP status and it is thinking about the standards in a totally different way. The planning is difficult as you never know the ages of the children but we complete an evaluation and observation sheet after the session. One of my main roles I think is being an advocate for the children and even though there are a team of professionals in the centres I see my role as always putting the child at the centre of everything that is happening within that family. Some of the family outreach workers do not have an early years background so it is working with them closely to adhere to the EYFS, for example making sure that the environment for sessions is safe and stimulating that sort of thing. I have also adapted a learning journey so that it is not so in depth as a nursery but it is a record of their achievements whilst they have been attending sessions with us. As always the downside is not knowing who is going to attend sessions and how long they will attend for, but eh ho it is good reflective practice.

Sorry for my rambling hope you find it useful.

Hi I work in a Children's Centre as the Stay and Play Coordinator and as such oversee the stay and play sessions and lead a team of three playworkers. As the parents stay with their children I like you have no children in my care. I am currently on my validation pathway for EYP status and it is thinking about the standards in a totally different way. The planning is difficult as you never know the ages of the children but we complete an evaluation and observation sheet after the session. One of my main roles I think is being an advocate for the children and even though there are a team of professionals in the centres I see my role as always putting the child at the centre of everything that is happening within that family. Some of the family outreach workers do not have an early years background so it is working with them closely to adhere to the EYFS, for example making sure that the environment for sessions is safe and stimulating that sort of thing. I have also adapted a learning journey so that it is not so in depth as a nursery but it is a record of their achievements whilst they have been attending sessions with us. As always the downside is not knowing who is going to attend sessions and how long they will attend for, but eh ho it is good reflective practice.

Sorry for my rambling hope you find it useful.

Thanks that is so useful - it seems to reflect the role which I have observed.

• 4 weeks later...

hi, i was really pleased to see your post as I have been discussing some sort of learning journey for the families attending groups. I wonder if you would mind sharing an example of yours and letting me know what the families think of them

thank you

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)