Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

If Leader And Deputy Are Out ...

Do we need a stand in deputy to be stand in leader?

I ask because we have a couple of situations coming up shortly where both are out and it is pretty much unavoidable.

One situation is that the leader is on training and our deputy has to take her daughter to the hospital, she has a chronic illness so I would not quibble on the timing of it.

The other situation is an important conference that both leader and deputy have asked to attend.

We will have a level 3 qualified person on site, but does she need to be named stand in deputy for the day!?

we often used to have a level 3 stand in on these occasions... we used to give her deputy title and pay for the sessions... So long as the ratios and levels of staff were Ok we had not problem with it... and the staff were happy with the situation. We often had all level 3s taker a turn at leading and running a session while the manager or deputy were there so they all became very confident in the role.

Ofsted did arrive one of these days and did not comment at all... I arrived lunchtime on that occasion..and she returned next day to see me and feedback etc..

Yeah it's s*d's law that Ofsted will turn up on one of those days!

My only hesitation is that she is a fairly new staff member and it seems quite a lot to ask when she won't have been at the setting very long.

We have another staff member who has been with us for years but is only Level 2, would she be a better choice given her experience?

Ifs its just for one day I wouldnt worry too much about how long your L3 has been there. She'll know the basics of the day and I'm sure the staff will work together. I've covered at playgroup on the odd occassion leader and deputy are out and I certainly dont know how the session runs these days! All our staff are L3 though which helps but 2 have only been there since September, ones newly qualified and the other has been out of EY for 6 years.

We also dont name a deputy and now I'm thinking maybe we should? No-ones ever bought it up and we're going through our RAGGING at the moment.

I may be wrong!! :o but I am sure that you have to have level 3 to be in charge of a session or room. With the more experienced staff to support your level 3 staff things will be fine and I believe that is when the staff grow in their professional develoment.

Andrea

Edited by Andreamay

Thanks all.

What is ironic is that it was looking like we would not have a level 3 in the setting until we employed this new person. I had a very long conversation with an Ofsted inspector to get to the point where they agreed that I could stand in as the level 3 person on that one day. (I have a BEd 3-8 years, QTS, a number of years teaching experience, plus a CRB for the setting AND I'm suitable person, but they STILL weren't sure if I could count as there was one section of the EY2 I hadn't filled out as I'm commitee not staff.) Madness!

Thanks all.

What is ironic is that it was looking like we would not have a level 3 in the setting until we employed this new person. I had a very long conversation with an Ofsted inspector to get to the point where they agreed that I could stand in as the level 3 person on that one day. (I have a BEd 3-8 years, QTS, a number of years teaching experience, plus a CRB for the setting AND I'm suitable person, but they STILL weren't sure if I could count as there was one section of the EY2 I hadn't filled out as I'm commitee not staff.) Madness!

Hi Suzie..tell me about OFSTED paperwork madness! Im committee on school club but lev 3 qualified and when club needed me in as staff for a few sessions (couldnt recruit) I had to provide all my certificates, 2 references and have health declaration done before I could do it! Whereas if I had not been staff would not have had to have health dec done!