Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Assessment Foundation Stage

Usually I can find answers to problems that occur in my class by searching through the forum, so I am hoping that someone out there will be able to help me. Each term my colleague and I do a break down of the scores attained so far in the EYFS. These are generally broke down into the months, however our school SIP would like to see the months broken down even further, for example in the 30 - 50 months how many children are high attainers, how many medium attainers, and low attainers, does anyone have a simple method of breaking the scores down to this level.

Many thanks

Kate

I'm in a preschool not a school but we do mark our observations of a statement within an age band according to the number of times we see that. So we use emerging, developing and secure labels which indicate that a child has just started to, has done a fee times or is doing regularly. Would something like this help?

• 3 weeks later...
Usually I can find answers to problems that occur in my class by searching through the forum, so I am hoping that someone out there will be able to help me. Each term my colleague and I do a break down of the scores attained so far in the EYFS. These are generally broke down into the months, however our school SIP would like to see the months broken down even further, for example in the 30 - 50 months how many children are high attainers, how many medium attainers, and low attainers, does anyone have a simple method of breaking the scores down to this level.

Many thanks

Kate

I use the same percentages as are applied to the Foundation stage profile so 0-39% statements achieved equals working below an age range, 40% -80% equals working within 81% - 90%equals to having achieved the age band 90%+ equals to working beyond the age band. This works well at every age level and all works well for on -entry assessment for any age of child. So you count the total number of statements for each age band and work out the percentages from that.

I use the same percentages as are applied to the Foundation stage profile so 0-39% statements achieved equals working below an age range, 40% -80% equals working within 81% - 90%equals to having achieved the age band 90%+ equals to working beyond the age band. This works well at every age level and all works well for on -entry assessment for any age of child. So you count the total number of statements for each age band and work out the percentages from that.

Hi Androyd, can you enlighten us a little more as to what you mean about likening this to percentages form the FSP? Are you saying you 0-39% is like scoring 1-3 on the FSP? Did you get that advice from somewhere in particular?

Personally I wouldn't count up the statements in that way, as it then goes back to being a ticklist, which I don't think is really the essence of the EYFS.

We use emerging, and secure.

Hi Androyd, can you enlighten us a little more as to what you mean about likening this to percentages form the FSP? Are you saying you 0-39% is like scoring 1-3 on the FSP? Did you get that advice from somewhere in particular?

Personally I wouldn't count up the statements in that way, as it then goes back to being a ticklist, which I don't think is really the essence of the EYFS.

We use emerging, and secure.

These are the percentages used by the government/QCA when talking about the profil scores. although there is an element of the tick sheet about this, provided as a setting you always refer back to the needs of the individual children, then taking the tracking information which you are required to keep and turning it into statistics can give you a clearer picture of any areas of weakness/strength but also help you to show 'value added' by your setting. For instance the majority of our entrants at 3 and a half are working within the 36months age band and a significant minority are working within the 26 month age band. By the time they leave us at around 50 months they are working age appropriately. This gives statistical backing to what we know intuitively, that our children make good progress while they are with us and we make a real difference. Sometimes i get depressed at seeing the class as rows of numbers but actually I know this is just a way of representing their progress which people who don't know the children concerned can grasp. As long as the numbers never become more important that the individual needs of the children then I see nothing wrong with it.

• 11 months later...

Hi LoubyLouLou,

I've removed your email address from your post - we prefer that people don't post them on the open forum. Normally I would suggest that you send the member a private message instead. However, this is an old topic and Androyd is no longer a paid up member of the forum so I'm afraid there is no way to contact them nor for them to reply to this thread.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)