Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Settling In Child

Guest terrydoo73

I too am very aware how writing something and saying have 2 meanings hence my comments...

different tack here..( note I worked in F1 so the younger end of the preschool)

why are the observations so important.. could you not just spend time playing and learning about the children - it is a new setting with new children and staff.. all of which needs time to develop and grow.

We seldom did any observations in the first 6 weeks of any child starting the setting and that was a well established with a very competent team of staff all at level 3 - we felt to took at least his for the children to settle, become used to us and routine etc.. then we worked on observations etc..

the less you all stress about things the better the children and you will enjoy the experience...no harm in following and allowing him time to settle before he joins in..

I too cannot see who is coming to inspect and close you down in such a short space of time... are we missing something?

as to any advisers coming in.. they are there to help you improve, not criticise all you do..

and Ofsted - I always looked at them being there to say what you do well and how to improve on it.. and actually must have been one of the few who did not worry about them visiting..

Terrdoo i bet you've done lots of observations on this little boy...they dont all have to written down you know! i can tell you which of my children 'can separate from main carer without support ' and which of them are able to see to their personal needs etc etc i know all my children really well ...i spend lots of time with them...if i had to write down everything i would never talk to them :(:o good luck with tomorrow it is early days for you all...oh and we are all here to listen but being teachers we also all have an opinion! :(xD

I have to say, I respect your honesty. I know it is not 'pc', but if I'm totally honest...I have to acknowledge that what I'm feeling sometimes IS annoyed at some children's behaviour - in cases where other children are getting hurt. However, I know that the reasons for feeling like this are something that I need to reflect on and deal with, and I do.

Just another thought, with regards to the environment - are you able to have free-flow to the outdoors, or if not go outside when children ask to? maybe this child will prefer the outside environment. Also, when the children gather for rhyme time, are they possibly expected to stay together in one area for a little too long ? Also I believe that if the routine in a provision is too ridgid, with little choice, then some children do respond negatively.

With regards to written observations, and concerns about Ofsted's imminent arrival - I find photographs taken (by staff and children) and displayed highligting the experiences and learning that have taken place, can reduce the number of written observations needed. Ofsted want to see "what is it like for a child here", you can also tell them what you have done/are doing with the children to support their individual needs etc.

You clearly are reflecting and seeking to help this little boy, and there are many possible 'paths to take to the same destination'.

Edited by Guest

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)