Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Average Point Score At This Point Of Year

Does anybody have any idea of the average points score that I should be looking for at this point in the year? I know that it is 78 points by the end of Foundation stage.

Billy the average point score is only relevant at the end of EYFS. At this time of the year you will want to show that your children are making progress, you know where they are, if there are any gaps and what provision you are making to enable them to continue to progress.

Lorna

I agree with Lorna completely but understand where Billy is coming from!

We have just had a new intake of rising fives into our Reception Class. They have come from 10 different settings who have provided us with their end of Autumn term profile scores.

There are huge differences between settings and scores - some children already have everything on their profile ticked off. This makes it very difficult for us as our initial observations and assessments do not support these high scores. Other settings have obviously been more cautious and have much lower average scores.

:o

Thanks for replies. I am not the Reception children the teacher left in October, we have temporary teacher in post and I am trying to support her and find out if children are where they should be at this point in the year.

I agree with Lorna completely but understand where Billy is coming from!

We have just had a new intake of rising fives into our Reception Class. They have come from 10 different settings who have provided us with their end of Autumn term profile scores.

There are huge differences between settings and scores - some children already have everything on their profile ticked off. This makes it very difficult for us as our initial observations and assessments do not support these high scores. Other settings have obviously been more cautious and have much lower average scores.

:o

Why are nursery/pre-school settings giving you profile scores when children start with you??? That is not the job of pre-school settings - we write a transition documnet which bands them in the devlopment matters age ranges but don't touch the profile???

Why are nursery/pre-school settings giving you profile scores when children start with you??? That is not the job of pre-school settings - we write a transition documnet which bands them in the devlopment matters age ranges but don't touch the profile???

My guess is this is because the children leave you before their profile year starts. However until the single intake comes into force this September, we have in the past had children in pre-school right up until the time they join year one. So we would very much be involved in compiling their Profile, and we have experience of completing Profiles for one or two terms, and then passing it onto the school.

I don't complete the profile I have enough to do recording progress of my 44 Nursery children using the development matters statements! But I am EYFS lead and have been asked by the head to look at the data to see if the children are where they should be for this time of year.

Are you meaning the children in reception? If so look and see where they were on entry and then what progress they made and what you want to see is that they are making progress across all 6 areas of learning as no one area has a greater weighting. Also look to see if some children are making ore progress in some areas than others, how are your boys doing compared to your girls, look at summer borns, looked after children and free schools meals. the e-profile is great for giving you charts in these areas. Then you can report the areas of strength and the areas for development to the HT.

Good luck

Lorna

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there,

The most obvious thing to do is to look at your previous data to see what happened over say the last two years. If you have been using the eprofile that data is there. You can then compare what the scores are this year to past performance. That will give you a far better picture than anything else. It all depends where your children come in at. Consider the cohorts and any staffing factors as they are the main variables. Different staff have different strengths.

At this stage any child who is scoring 3 or less in any area deserves attention. More importantly look at each profile area and check that the weakest areas are being addressed. Each term we assess and identify the weakest 20% and target them for extra help if possible. With us it is usually that they have english as an additional language but that will vary from setting to setting.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)