Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

'superhero School' Roleplay- Ideas?!

Hello lovely people, Happy New Year!

My class of mixed Nursery/Reception children have been voting for the new roleplay area, the winner being a 'Superhero School'!

I was wondering whether anyone would be willing to share any good ideas to develop the curriculum with this as I'm very scared the boys will just dress up and race around the sizeable setting we have like they did before when the spiderman costume was in the dressing up box! Has anyone had anything similar in their room which worked well?

We've already talked about what happens in a school and that the we aren't superheroes yet and that we will be 'learning' the skills they have. I've asked the children as a starting point and they have come up with eating special foods to make them fly, putting baddies in cages (we discussed not killing people!) making masks, making watches (like Ben 10's omnitrix thingy) writing secret codes/ messages.

My TA's an I have thought of a few ideas: throwing/ jumping activities and measuring the distances, building vehicles for super heroes with construction materials, making magic wands and spells for the 'supergirls' and was wondering if anyone else had any bright ideas?

I really would like this to work- observations also looming! :o

Hi

I just did a search with the word superhero and here is the list that came up

As you can see it is a common topic/problem

I know people worry about hero play ending up with gun play as the children sometimes link the 2 but as someone pointed out once to me "We talked about the super powers superheroes have, and how they don't have weapons!" This is something to focus on.....what powers do they have, what power would you have and why, what would be the best superpower to have, what would be the worst superpower to have.....that could be quite amusing.

Hope it all goes well

Have you got the book Charlie's Superhero Underpants? Some lovely rhyming and alliteration in that book.

Thanks for that! Went to the library today, got a couple of books but this one sounds great so I just ordered it from Amazon- hope it arrives in time! I had planned to do some rhyme work- fab!

Hi planning on doing a superhero thing soon so really interested in your ideas so far. I came across a fab book called Nat Fantasic about a boy who turns into a superhero when he sneezes (flash, bang, whizz Kaboom Nat fantastic is in the room-love it!) and I was planning on largly using this book as it has lots of repetition and would give some fab ideas for imaginitive play.

The previous reception teacher had a superhero gym in the classroom with fake weights and other exercise equipment for the superheros to keep fit/build muscle while waiting for assignments! it also had a phone so people could phone in distress for the superheros to save them and they kept a log of the people they had saved and from what.

Deb

Edited by busybeedeb

There could be a focus on creative development- imagination in acting out superhero stories, making props and clothes for the role play/story.

Also, CLL with story maps (large drawn with chalk on floor/big rolls of paper) to show and develop story language.

we are doing a superhero topic at the moment.

a good book is Traction man (boy gets traction man for christmas and he goes on loads of hosehold adventures e.g. rescues the sieve from the sink and the dreeded dishcloth. I set up different parts of the story in different sections of the classroom e.g. sink section in the water tray, barbie dolls burried in the sand tray and the small world tray for the rescue of the animals. The children made up their own adventures for traction man and his sidekit (scrubbing brush with eyes). They also made him some new clothes.

another good book which is good for words like pow ect. is super daisy (they are the stories about the girl who doesn't like peas)

we also had a superhero training camp outsdie

shooting at targets/ getting things through hoops/ blasting skittles over/ asult type course

we also went into the hall and looked at how superheroes fight safely/ non contact. we did a sequence of movments with sounds e.g. punch, kick, squat then they did it with a partner. (this was because they were forgetting or getting carried away in their play and hiting each other!

Thanks everyone!

We have been making masks this week using halved paper plates/ elastic and capes using black bin bags cut in half (creativity on a budget as we have zero resources!) They are now adding their own 'badges' onto their capes to show what superhero they are. Lots of DT type skills fixing, joining, cutting etc... They are loving wearing their capes! Really like the 'non-contact' fighting idea- think it's going to come in handy with certain boys!

We've also added a gym aspect to the roleplay area which is a good idea too. I purchased the book 'Charlie's superhero underpants' (thanks Panders) and it's been excellent for starting to think about rhyme- the children have grasped it much quicker than last year's lot. They and I LOVE the book! :o

Hello folks, we are about to embark on our very first theme of superheroes, I would be extremely grateful if anyone could share their Medium term planning as a starting point for us, already have picked up on some fab ideas from here, thank you x :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)