Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Coded Observations?

Hi

I am currently considering buying the Qed 'trackers' to monitor the childrens learning journey.

At the moment we use a home-made learning journey that just states the development matters.

What I would like to know is........... Do you 'code up' your observations - or, do you just know which development matter each photo and observation refers to. I am more than confident that my staff know which development matter they are refering to when they write a sticker or take a picture. However, at the start of the EYFS our local authority early years service diligently sat us all down as we 'coded up' our development matters.

i.e. PSED DA 6b (PSED obvious, DA obvious, 6 refers to the age group and b the specific development matter)

Our LA also have devised their own assessment and record keeping system, characterised by 'I Can' statements, these are supposedly 'dumbing down' the development matters, but in effect it involves twice the work as you have to refer back to the development matter in question. Not everyone uses their ARK document, me included.

So............. basically, I am asking do you code up your observations. If not then I will buy the Qed trackers as they seem a lovely, parent friendly, staff friendly way to record childrens progress

Thank you in advance for any responses and for anyone who takes the time to make sense of what I've written, lolol... :o

Regards

Sharon........................

Will you be using your learning journeys alongside the QEd tracker booklets? I ask because there didn't seem to be much space for photos etc on the Trackers pages and no space to include children's work, so I think a home-made LJ can be more attractive and unique to each child.

Before you make your final decision, have you come across our PRAMS (Progress Recording and Monitoring System) here on the FSF? It might give you some ideas of what exactly you want from a recording and assessment system (and also what you don't want!). You can access the summary of PRAMS here

Will you be using your learning journeys alongside the QEd tracker booklets? I ask because there didn't seem to be much space for photos etc on the Trackers pages and no space to include children's work, so I think a home-made LJ can be more attractive and unique to each child.

I totally agree about homemade LJ being more attractive and unique to each child. Ours are so personalised and loved by children, parents and staff. I ordered tracket booklets but really didn't like them, they looked too clinical for me and as Helen says not a lot of space for photos and children's work.

I totally agree about homemade LJ being more attractive and unique to each child. Ours are so personalised and loved by children, parents and staff. I ordered tracket booklets but really didn't like them, they looked too clinical for me and as Helen says not a lot of space for photos and children's work.

I'll second that! :o

Forgot about the coding part of the original query :o

I guess my answer is we 'kind of' code our observations

Our observation sheets have the areas of learnings listed in a box at the bottom and staff just tick the relevant box but then add a number. The number relates to the aspect of learning the ob covers eg PSED boxed ticked and '1' would be dispositions and attitudes. PSED and '2' would be self confidence and self esteem etc etc.

It works for us and of course sometimes there may be more than one number in the box or more than one area ticked as observations don't always 'fit nicely' into just one aspect/area of learning.

I think it is a case of what works for you, it took a few goes for us to find something that was simple and easy to workwith without reams of paperwork and I suppose it is a bonus that OFSTED liked our system!

Before you make your final decision, have you come across our PRAMS (Progress Recording and Monitoring System) here on the FSF? It might give you some ideas of what exactly you want from a recording and assessment system (and also what you don't want!). You can access the summary of PRAMS here

Each child has a 'learning journey' book that contains quotes, observations, learning stories, childrens work.

I was only going to use the trackers as a way of 'tracking' their progress....

BUT....... you mentioned PRAMS, I downloaded it on Saturday and have been working my way round it since then! I thought PRAMS was only ok for tracking whole groups, but, actually, can't believe I just said that!!! It is obviously good for all kind opf tracking.

Hmmm, now you've got me thinking - I am attending a pilot group for tracking on Thursday, I expect they are going to go through and promote PRAMS, I think I'll hang off ordering any trackers, as parent friendly as they are, I expect the parents are only interested in the learning journey books.

Thank you so much for the feedback...........

One question - I have been able to input childrens records and staff records on PRAMS, but I can't put any assessment details on, any advice??

(I will go to the PRAMS help and have a look, but just thought you might be able to tell me in laymans terms, lol)

Regards

Sharon ..........

Thanks to everyone that responded to my question.

I have decided to scrap the idea of the Qed Trackers, continue with my 'learning journey' books that contain obs, photo's, work etc.

And to use the PRAMS to record progress............

Again, thank you.......... xx :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)