Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Stuck For Ideas For The Sand Tray

struggling with insomnia - just note the time!! Got the sand tray on my mind of all things!

Do any of you have any really creative ideas for developing the sandtray? (I have a large indoor one and a couple of outdoor ones- just the plastic ELC kind with lids )

I do mixture of wet and dry sand, exchanging it for compost, rice, and pasta at various times but I really feel I am lacking creativity. I need a shot of inspiration I think (and maybe the odd sleeping tablet :o )

Hi Michaelle -

This might be a bit more than you need, but there was a great seaside conversation a while back with a lot of sand/water builders tray ideas. Lots of other things too which might help you to develop the theme a bit - especially Smiley's mammoth post! :)

Add bubble bath and whisks to the wet sand, sand souffles!!(maybe pots, pans, bowls and spoons too)

Dry sand - add lots of collage materials, sequins, shavings, jewels and so on, with a variety of sieves, tongs, tweezers and small baskets.

Children gather bits to make a Treasure Hunt collage.

Autumn - dried leaves, minibeasts.

Winter - shaving foam, or mashed potato (can make mashed potato dough with the children, will post the recipe later, but basicaaly it's boiled potatoes, flour and potato mashers)

I have loads more ideas stored on my old plans, I will try and find some different ones.

I was recently told about putting a big bag over the sand, when water is added it makes small puddles for the dinosaurs, farm animals etc. She suggested adding big stones, small plants and leaves etc. These settle into dents made in the sand through the bin bag. (sounded so much better when she said it) I havent tried it yet, but as we havent got an outdoor area I'm keen to try anything where I can bring the outdoors in.

Other ideas we have used are lentils of various colours and Cocoa shells (available from garden centres) which have a lovely chocolatey smell! Both these are good for pouring and texture. Dinosaurs and other animals go well with the cocoa shells too.

Carolyn

How about a treasure hunt using metal things and magnets or a treasure hunt using 'nice things'such as bits of old jewellery and children use sieves to find them

Junk boxes and pots

small spoons to dig with

play people and tractors/diggers

decorate sand castles with flags made out of straws

decorate birthday cakes using real birthday candles

Have fun - Angela

Our Nursery children are currently hooked on some modelling sand which we got free with our Persil Stars. I think its coated in wax and is really intended for older children who can do real sculpture with it. However, our children love it because when they mould it the sand stays where they put it and it doesn't stick to their hands like wet sand would. It has the same kind of fascination for me as cornflour goop because the sand doesn't quite behave the way you expect it to! (Whose the biggest kid?!)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)