Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Info/records To Go To School

Hi,

I've been asked to write a brief summation of the children that are moving onto reception, it is to be given directly to the reception teacher. The previous supervisor did this last year.

I do not feel this is right at all. For one how a child is in the Pre-school may not in fact be the case at reception, I do not want to label that child. Preconcieved ideas etc. Moreover, isn't it incorrect to pass info onto anyone but that child's parents somehow breaching confidenciality/data protection. Am I overreacting? :o

Angie

Information about the children in you setting need not "label " them, they can be especially helpful and can help identify if there are concerns about their settling in at school.

So if a child who had been confident and independent in your setting is still feeling timid or tearful two weeks into the term, this would indicate to the class teacher that there may be something else wrong.

I would keep all your comments positive - even if you are trying to indicate there may be a problem, i.e. still enjoys having adult support when saying goodbye to parents. or may need reminding to use the toilet.

Indicate their strengths - is willing to share and take turns.

Give the parents a copy, school records are open to parents so don't write anything you wouldn't want them to read

Hi Angie,

I agree 'labelling' a child for example as being 'a bit of a handful' (no joke - last year one preschool leader actually said this about a child!!!) has negative effects.

However as a Reception teacher I think it all depends on what you put into this statement for example I am interested to know at what stage of the stepping stones children are at so that it is not a huge 'assessment' gap when they come into my class.

I would say that in the majority of cases parents would see the benifits of this communication and if you are worried you could show anything that you send into schools to parents first - even getting them to sign it.

I personally think that often it is hard to write down onto paper a true reflection of a child and I like to arrange visits in the summer term to preschools to meet with both staff and children - perhaps this is an option?

We do a report on each child as well as the assessments we do during the year. I always try to make this as "positive" as I can and let the teachers make what they will of the assessments. We use yes and not yet for our assessments for the stepping stones which implies that the child is not quite there yet but still means that they can get there. Less negative than a "no".

We give the childrens folders to the parents as the children leave and tell them that they are theirs to keep but they may like to share them with the reception teacher.

Linda

It is quite usual for state nurseries to send transfer records onto the childs infant school and they can be a valuable source of support. We as reception teachers want to know what has gone on before and although I agree with you that the child may present differently in different situations or settings, you should not worry about labelling a child. Keep your comments positive and make the report available to parents but please do not refuse to do it, we need your input for the profiles!

Hi

our childrren go up for visits to the school and chat to thier new teachers if asked any questions, the childrens files and profiles go with them at the end of term and i ask parents to share this info with their new teachers. :D

we have done transfer documents for the last 3 years which our early years team supply, just make all comments positive, linked to the stepping stones if possible, we use same lines as mimi still likes adult support, etc.

All ours are completed and then the parent are asked to read them. add further comments if wish to being given a place to write on the form and then sign to say they have seen it before we send it to the school. In this way the parent is part of the process and they nearly always add comments to the report. we have keyworkers help in the writing of the reports (this year they are all happy to do thier own) and they are on hand to answer any questions the parent may have about them.

Inge

We do the same as Inge, A copy of the Record of Transfer ( I like to call it the record of achievement) is given to the parent and a copy sent to the school mid to end of summer term. I put a photo of each child next to the name ( particularly useful when I had identical twins). The feedback from the reception teachers is very positive and our work is appreciatted.

Please find attached a blank copy and an example written copy of the record of transfer ( this was devised by our EYDCP, so the information schools receive from the various feeder preschools is to the same format.

Peggy

p.s. The parents are always happy with the reports and if anything they are likely to write negative type comments in their section :o

RECORD_OF_TRANSFER.doc

example_record_of_transfer.doc

:) Thank you so much Peggy, they are perfect.

The reason I asked was the form they were sent in was rather personal. "she is a very quite girl, keeps to herself" etc. That may be true in the Pre-school but may not be the case in reception. They were also not shown to the parents before they were sent, infact the parents did not know anything about them, that's why I was very apprehensive.

I like your form Peggy I hope you don't mind if I borrow them.

Many thanks for everyones input, as usual support from this site when needed.

Angie :D

I'm glad you found the form useful, it was created by my local EYDCP but I'm sure it can be used by anyone.

Angie, I can see why you were aprehansive, I believe it is the parents right to see and be included in anything that is written about their child. I am adding a comment from "the child" this year in the lines of "What I enjoyed most about preschool and what I am looking forward to at my new school," ( to be done after their school visit in the summer term.)

Peggy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)