Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Interactive Whiteboards

Hi all

On the penultimate day of the autumn term (ie just before the Christmas party!), our first ever interactive whiteboard was delivered. I have been given the task of finding out how to use it and what is resources are available.

I have had a quick look at Promethean planet, but find many resources are just too advanced for my youngest children - more approriate for Reception. However, I must admit I have not had a lot of experience with IWBs but am very willing to learn!

Can folk tell me how they use their IWBs and what their favourite resources are?

Thanks a million and happy new year everyone!

cjules

I have promethean and find it less user-friendly than the Smart board, particularly for the early years. I have not used any promethean ready made activities, I have the book/cd '100 iwb activities for promethean', but found the activities to be quite basic and not very user- friendly.

I am in reception, I mainly use the iwb during whole class circle times, the children love it. I use Espresso as there are different activities for all 6 areas of learning.

If you search the internet for educational activities for EYFS, you'll find loads of free games/videos you can use with the IWB. Crickweb/ phonicsplay/iboard are a few of my favourites.

I also use videos based on our topic, so have shown videos of fireworks/ Diwali/ Hanukkah etc.

When I was in a nursery class, we had the smart board (no pen) and it was mainly used freely to play the educational games already installed on the computer. If children are having free access, you'll need to keep an eye on the pen!

It's a long time since i used a promethian board because everywhere I've worked since I qualified has had SMART boards so I can't remember exactly how they work but am I right that you have to use the pen rather than just being able to just touch the board with your hands?

My kids love the games on http://www.helpkidzlearn.com/ but not sure how well they'll work if you have to use the pen.

I prefered the premethian board for older kids because it worked more like windows so was good for teaching the children how to use this but as I say this was a long time ago so I don't know how much it has changed since then. I remember being very impressed with the new software that had just come out at the time with the revolving board effect but I'm sure this is old hat by now!!

I make a lot of my own power point presentations for use with my class. I often make a powerpoint version of whatever book we're using in literacy. My very hungry caterpillar PP is available in the resources section on this website. I used photos to recreate the book so they could compare this to the illustrations in the book.

Sorry I can't be more helpful but good luck with it. I'm sure when you've had chance to play with it you'll come up with all sorts of fab ideas x

Have a lok at this website its all about using ICT in the early years.

ICT in the early years

I find with my reception they just like drawing on the whitebaord software/ using it like a pencil. last term my school got rid of their smart boards and bought epson projectors which project onto the original whiteboards (that use whitboard pens) they also have an interactive feature where you use a pen to make the board interactive. I do miss being able to use my finger though.

I haven't found an internet game that has not worked with the interactive pen.

Tux paint is good you can download it for free (just type into google) its a paint programme. Mine also like help kidz learn and poissonrouge.com and crickweb.co.uk

Emx

I make a lot of my own power point presentations for use with my class. I often make a powerpoint version of whatever book we're using in literacy. My very hungry caterpillar PP is available in the resources section on this website. I used photos to recreate the book so they could compare this to the illustrations in the book.

Hi Missblinx, I've had a look for your power point in the resources section but can't find it - could you send me a link or an idiot's guide on how to find it?!! :o

cjules, my school has new Promethean boards and it does take time to get used to them (time to play without the children - a rare thing!). For games (Reception but they may have something suitable for you), I use www.helpkidzlearn.co.uk , www.kenttrustweb.org.uk/kentict/content/games/index.htm, and www.crickweb.co.uk Hope you find something useful

I don't know if this'll work, but here's a link to caterpillar PP:

http://www.foundation-stage.info/forums/in...mp;showfile=493

If that doesn't work, go to resources (under home on top left of the page), then resource library, then in the page theat opens go to the third area from the top (enjoying and achieving) and in the list next to that click on EYFS areas of learning. The caterpillar PP was the last one posted in CLL. I hope all that makes sense but hopefully the link will work so you won't have to attempt to follow my dubious instructions!! x

There's a few other PPs that I've made in the other areas of learning in the resource bank, there's a counting one, a counting songs one, a sciencey flower growing one and a Chinese new year one x

Dear all

Thanks for the help. I was without internet for some time (hence the late reply!), so haven't had a chance to try out suggestions but will get back to you when I have.

Happy return to school, all!

cjules

• 8 months later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)