Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

How To Work Out Holiday Entitlement?

Hi

All staff entitled to 5.6 weeks per year but public holidays have to be taken out of this.

How do you work it out for club staff when they actually work different hours during the school holidays? They are now contracted to work 5 half sessions per week during school holidays (5 hours x 5 )however it all depends on the numbers of children in holiday club as they may not all be needed.

I am thinking that we just pay staff for what they normally do during term time.

Eg one staff member works an hour in the morning then 3 hours in the afternoon, mon to fri. So 5.6 weeks is 28 days and she gets paid for 20 hours (5 days) if she takes a week off. If it is a bank holiday mon she gets paid 4 hours ie 1 day holiday taken out of the 28 days per year.

eg another staff member works one hour in the morning and 3 hours in the afternoon, mon - wed. So 5.6 weeks is 18 days and he gets paid for 12 hours (3 days) if he takes the week off. If it is Good fri he does not get paid and no days are taken off his entitlem,ent as he doesnt work fri.

What happens as in manager works everymorning and every afternoon session but then also does extra time for eg admin, planning bookings etc. She determines how much time is needed for this. When it comes to paying her for her holidays when she is off does it have to include an element of the extras she does or does she only get paid her basic contacted hours?

Its all very confusing. How do you work it out?

We want to get away from the not paying them when they are on holiday and then paying them their entitlement all in one go. This new system supposed to start next month!

Thanks

Edited by marley

ACAS

BUSINESS LINK

I used these sites when I was trying to work it out.

Our staff have their holiday pay rolled up over the year, its unlawful according to the EU directive but the staff were aghast when I suggested they have reduced pay each month and holiday when they took holiday, so they still have it rolled up.

They get holiday pay based on their normal working hours with any overtime being added to their monthly pay.

Hi

Thanks. Have already checked these sites..like how it says terrm time workers under review! Most of it is how to work out when staff do the same hours per week. Have also checked out governement site.

School club staff unlike pre-school can potentially work throughout the year like a "normal job" but its the fact that during the holidays they will do different hours compared to term time (usuallly more). There are no restrictions when they take their holiday except they normally have time off between xmas and new year. The idea is that when they are on holiday they will still receive their normal pay for a typical day. Its normal for term time workers to get 5.6 weeks per year but pro-rata for the fact we only work 39 weeks per year but this is not applicable.

Think we shall just have to go with what I said in my first post.

rolled up pay.... this is when you add holiday pay into the regular wages and pay it over a set number of weeks... which do not include time off... so if someone works 48 weeks a year, holiday pay is calculated , added and they are still paid for only 48 weeks... makes the weekly pay look like more than it actually is! if you add it and they get paid for the 52 weeks a year.. this is not rolled up pay as they are being paid for time when they are not working..

So for us it was better to have all the holiday pay added to the annual pay and then divide out by 12 months.. all legal..

In marleys case it could be seen as a bit unfair in that if you normally work a Bank holiday you are made to take it as one of your paid days... but if you dont usually work it you can still have a paid day of your choice... some who work 5 days a week could end up with lots of enforced holiday while others could end up with a whole entitlement at their own choice.. fair?

as to how much we worked it out on a 'usual week' or occasionally an average of last 6 weeks pay.. and I did have my admin time included in my holiday pay.. it was extra paid ours each week.. so felt it was regular hours.. but I had xx hours each week, sometimes I used them, others I did not but some weeks I needed more hours.. so worked out even in the end.

Hi

Good point about the bank holidays Inge and staff that work 5 days. So could give them the 28 days holiday (or what they are entitled to) but sya that they dont get paid for bank holidays or the week we are closed between xmas and New Year. Will put it to chair to see.

Thanks.

Guest jenpercy

you are supposed to base entitlement on hours worked in last 12 weeks, but this means that anyone who takes holiday in September could get more, or in some cases less than at other times of year. If your contract states that you get a number of extra paid hours, that must be included in calculations, but if it is not specified, and provided that the hours worked don't bring you under minimum wage (in which case you would be illegal anyway, you need ot take this into consideration. If someone works 4 hours a day in term and every day in the holidays for 10 hours, this would mean extra holiday, for example. The correct way to work it out is to add up the hours I think staff will work throughout the year, divide by the number of week days in a year, then multiply by 28 to give the total number of paid holiday. for staff who don't always work all the holiday they could, I just give them the 28 days, it saves wrangling.

as for bank holidays, I used to give choice of whether they wanted it to be paid or not, but it requires a very disciplined keeping count, so now I give it to them as holiday.

don't forget, whatever you do to spell it out in contracts, issuing amemded contracts where necessary, so there is no possibility of misunderstanding. you wouldn't want it to be argued that as they wre customarily paid for bank holidays, you have just awarded extra hols by stating that 28 days does not include bank hols, would you.

Edited by jenpercy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)