Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

E215 Tma 04

Hi

Can anyone help me with TMA 04 I do not know where to start

thanks

Hi I am having the same problem!! I though it was me having a bit of a dim moment....any advice would be appreciated

Thanks

Is this the one about the environment? With the plan??

Whoops! No of course not! It's the identities one!! One thing I would recommend is that you define terminology you may be using, such as 'gender', 'identity' and 'self-esteem'. Saves confusion at points!

Sue

my you are organised only just started reading block 3 and realised cannot do anything until go back to work 10th Jan so will be behind again. so much for my new years resolution.

E215 seems alot harder than E115

all the best

Buttercup

I agree Buttercup, I seem to be struggling with E215, I too have fallen behind - have had terrible cold for last 2 weeks (ended up in bed!!!) So playing catch up with the reading.

I agree Buttercup, I seem to be struggling with E215, I too have fallen behind - have had terrible cold for last 2 weeks (ended up in bed!!!) So playing catch up with the reading.

Playing catch up too, have been unwell this week and main aim is to be well for Christmas Day and family. Going to set myself a goal today that once been to doc's hopfully they will sort me and I can crack on again!

Good luck with reading everyone

Big Sue

Seconded!! :oxD

I got positive feedback for this aspect

Sorry Geraldine do you mean define the terms in the written TMA? or just define them in your own head? Sorry - you know what I'm like....getting in a tizzy....

Sorry Geraldine do you mean define the terms in the written TMA? or just define them in your own head? Sorry - you know what I'm like....getting in a tizzy....

To define in the TMA definitely. When you are using terms such as 'identity' and 'gender' you need to explain how you have defined these , otherwise the reader may not have the same 'definition' - does that make sense?

After my introduction I had a sub-heading of 'Terminology and multiple identities' and started this section by defining 'gender' 'identity', my discussion included discursive positioning and how gender contributes to identity. I ended this section by saying that my data analysis highlighted three key issues.

My next sub section was 'anaylsis of my learning' where I discussed my application of the three layers of analysis detailed in block 1. I ended this part by stating which strategies and approaches I had chosen to critically discuss and 'strategies and approaches' was my next sub heading and then I just had a conclusion.

Hope this helps and good luck

Edited by Geraldine

• 2 weeks later...

Have spent ages trying to define 'gender' but want to say more than its just the male / female thing (if you know what I mean), would I be better to discuss gender identity? rather than just gender or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Have spent ages trying to define 'gender' but want to say more than its just the male / female thing (if you know what I mean), would I be better to discuss gender identity? rather than just gender or am I barking up the wrong tree?

I think 'gender' contributes to 'identity' but not sure how you would define both together.

I went with defining gender as being determined by physical biology as male or female and supported it with an OU quote 'you are one or the other you cannot be both'. It does get a bit complicated though as the dominant discourse associated witht he male/female dichtomisation is something I don't agree with!! so I said that in my TMA. The dominant discourse equates femininity to females and masculinity to males but that's not something I really agree with so I used the example of the girl in the course material who said something about 'girly girls like playing with barbie but I don't'.

As for identity I guess it's a bit of a personal thing really but I said that I defined it as being unique to each individual and that identity encompasses mulitiple identities which incorporate a range of masculinities and femininities. I just kind of tried to link it all in a way! I said gender contributes to identity but 'being a girl or a boy does not in itself result in masculinity of femininity' (not sure whereabouts that quote came from but in the course material somewhere)

Hope this maks some kind of sense!

I think 'gender' contributes to 'identity' but not sure how you would define both together.

I went with defining gender as being determined by physical biology as male or female and supported it with an OU quote 'you are one or the other you cannot be both'. It does get a bit complicated though as the dominant discourse associated witht he male/female dichtomisation is something I don't agree with!! so I said that in my TMA. The dominant discourse equates femininity to females and masculinity to males but that's not something I really agree with so I used the example of the girl in the course material who said something about 'girly girls like playing with barbie but I don't'.

As for identity I guess it's a bit of a personal thing really but I said that I defined it as being unique to each individual and that identity encompasses mulitiple identities which incorporate a range of masculinities and femininities. I just kind of tried to link it all in a way! I said gender contributes to identity but 'being a girl or a boy does not in itself result in masculinity of femininity' (not sure whereabouts that quote came from but in the course material somewhere)

Hope this maks some kind of sense!

Thanks Geraldine - it makes perfect sense.

I have written a brief sentence - definition of gender and identity in its (dictionary) sense, then I have gone on to write a little about gender roles being determined by how society perceives them (backed up with quote from course) and also have included a bit about multiple identities and linked it to Bronfenbrenner's model (microsystems). As for identity I have mentioned how it isn't fixed (and referenced course materials) - not sure how much to write for this part of the TMA - I have had no guidance or tutor notes at all so far for anything and I started the course in October. Relying on you kind people to help - THANK YOU :o

Thanks Geraldine - it makes perfect sense.

I have written a brief sentence - definition of gender and identity in its (dictionary) sense, then I have gone on to write a little about gender roles being determined by how society perceives them (backed up with quote from course) and also have included a bit about multiple identities and linked it to Bronfenbrenner's model (microsystems). As for identity I have mentioned how it isn't fixed (and referenced course materials) - not sure how much to write for this part of the TMA - I have had no guidance or tutor notes at all so far for anything and I started the course in October. Relying on you kind people to help - THANK YOU :o

Sounds good to me xD

After my introduction I had a subheading 'Terminology and 'Multiple Identities' and this section was about 250 words. I agree about identity not being 'fixed' and I wrote about how multiple identities surface and change over time and impact on children's developing self- identity ( i got the discursive positioning reference in here)

I don't think you need to write loads just a case of making it clear how you have defined terms and then later in the TMA when you mention 'gender' or 'identity' the reader understands what you mean! good luck with it

Hi 3children

I got through it but not particularly well, not badly either, just OK. I got one of my best marks for TMA 02 but I struggled to understand what was required for TMA 03. It wasn't clear to me if I should use just my research results or a combination of research results and results from activities, I went for the latter.

And as for EYCLO evidence - argh! I seem to spend so long dithering about what evidence is required, then thinking about getting permission to use it for the various sources. Roll on the summer!

How did you get on?

Hi

Did you all get through TMA 03 okay, many people did not

Hi I did ok with TMA03 but my tutor was a bit inconsistent with his marking and comments. His feedback was really good on the PT3 form, but the mark didn't reflect this at all. Then on the actual tma he had written all over it, raising questions and challenging what I had written. For example I used observation and parent interview as my 2 research tools - and in the tma I highlighted 'quotes' from the parent interview - writing extracts from the interview - however my tutor obviously didn't like me to use the actual words from the parent as he underlined parts of her response and put exclamation marks underneath it - as it was the parents contribution, I had made sure that it was in speech marks and italic font to indicate this - What am I supposed to do? Am I supposed to change what the parent says to make it read more academic? I work in a area of need and high deprivation and some parents social and communication skills one could say need a little honing - but hey - I see it as a bonus that this particular mum let me observe her child. To be honest, I felt totally demoralised after receiving the TMA back. He also questioned (almost sarcastically) what I had observed with the baby - which made me feel that he really doesn't understand the nature of my role or the setting in which I work. Not looking forward to submitting TMA04 at all. As for the RLO - I got a tick on it and word saying this meets the criteria.

One plus point was that I was not on my own with the inconsistent feedback - I believe some complaints are being made.

Hi I did ok with TMA03 but my tutor was a bit inconsistent with his marking and comments. His feedback was really good on the PT3 form, but the mark didn't reflect this at all. Then on the actual tma he had written all over it, raising questions and challenging what I had written. For example I used observation and parent interview as my 2 research tools - and in the tma I highlighted 'quotes' from the parent interview - writing extracts from the interview - however my tutor obviously didn't like me to use the actual words from the parent as he underlined parts of her response and put exclamation marks underneath it - as it was the parents contribution, I had made sure that it was in speech marks and italic font to indicate this - What am I supposed to do? Am I supposed to change what the parent says to make it read more academic? I work in a area of need and high deprivation and some parents social and communication skills one could say need a little honing - but hey - I see it as a bonus that this particular mum let me observe her child. To be honest, I felt totally demoralised after receiving the TMA back. He also questioned (almost sarcastically) what I had observed with the baby - which made me feel that he really doesn't understand the nature of my role or the setting in which I work. Not looking forward to submitting TMA04 at all. As for the RLO - I got a tick on it and word saying this meets the criteria.

One plus point was that I was not on my own with the inconsistent feedback - I believe some complaints are being made.

OMG :o I am now starting to worry I have not had anything back from my TMA 3, I am working through EYCLOs but don't want to start TMA4 until I have my feedback.

My tutor has appeared tuff too, I have request that she mark my work in RED or a colour so I can visulise it better (works for me old school) Now worrying it will be a huge scribble in red and I will cry!!!

Big Sue

PS why do we do this to ourselves???

Hi

I used the tour and camera as my research tools. I put the child's comments on the scaled drawing. I then referred to them in the assignment. I also put the child's comments when using the camera but that was the wrong thing to do. Not that this information is much use to you now!

I'm using child conferencing this time followed by an interview with the child's keyperson this time.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)