Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Outdoor Play

Hi all, Just joined this morning. I hope that I am doing this right. I am very much finding my feet with outdoor play. I teach P1 and work with a theme a week. Im very much trying to work each theme into outdoor play. The gingerbread man has me a little blocked. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions or ideas that i could work with. I would be really grateful. Thanks :o

Welcome and Congratualtions on your first post!

I don't know much about P1's I'm afraid!

How about having 3 or 4 sets of characters hidden in the outdoor area. Split the class into 3 or 4 groups. Each group has to find a set of characters and sequesnce them. All done without talking so they have to ask each other which characters they have found using the props and sound effects??

Probably too easy!! Good luck, i'm sure you'll get lots of responses soon enough!

Hi Joycers and welcome, sorry to be dim but what is P1.

What about running races run run as fast as you can you can't catch me i'm.....................................

Cooking gingerbread people and having a race with them.

Hunt the gingerbread people dotted around the outdoor area.

Mark-make a huge gingerbread person out of chalk and then follow the lines around.

What about re-enacting the story outside, using props etc.

Will keep thinking.

Hi all, Just joined this morning. I hope that I am doing this right. I am very much finding my feet with outdoor play. I teach P1 and work with a theme a week. Im very much trying to work each theme into outdoor play. The gingerbread man has me a little blocked. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions or ideas that i could work with. I would be really grateful. Thanks :o

Hello

How about dresssing up clothes for the different characters in the story?

Also pictures retelling the story can be sequenced on washing lines and gingerbread man cutters can be used in the sand pit.

Helen

bake some, or decorate some and put in oven to 'cook' when time to get them out only a note found with a clue as to where they have run to... follow through with a treasure hunt following clues to find them-

can be done as part of role play using the equipment there.. make out of playdough etc..

not knowing circumstances or layout but have seen this done successfully involving whole school where the clue leads to other teachers etc who join in..

when found have mini gingerbread men for snack.. or to take home

I created a river outside and gave my class lots of open ended resources and a gingerbread man puppet. The challenge was 'How can the gingerbread man cross the river?'. They used all the resources to rig up a pulley system, it was great.

Thanks everyone for the brilliant ideas. Im going to have a go at setting some of these up. P1 is children between 4/5 years of age. We are quite well resoursed for indoor play and I am gradually trying to build on our outdoor play. These ideas are a great start. I found this forum by fluke and it is brilliant. :o

Thanks everyone for the brilliant ideas. Im going to have a go at setting some of these up. P1 is children between 4/5 years of age. We are quite well resoursed for indoor play and I am gradually trying to build on our outdoor play. These ideas are a great start. I found this forum by fluke and it is brilliant. :o

Joycers is you are P1 I am thinking that means you are in Scotland and if so you may wish to contact Clare Warden at Mindstretchers who has some outdoor nurseries in Scotland and have some great ideas which cost next to nothing to resource.

Lorna

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)