Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Money To Spend!

i was wondering if anyone could share with me the popular construction toys in their reception classes (or ones you think are very good) i am planning to spend some of my class allowance in this area. At them moment i have mobilo (which my class arnt too keen on!) small and large blocks and brio train set (which they love!) What do you all have?

Also i use my 'play tray' quite alot in many different ways-does anyone else like these?

sorry, i should of explianed-its a square (ish) black tray with small sides (really its a builders tray for mixing cement!) you buy them in tts early steps catalogue for around £40 i think. we bought them for our whole foundation unit.

I often use it for messy/creative play and squirt think like paint/water/bubbles/goop into it.

i also put coloured rice/pasta in it and even without any pots to fill the children love to feel the rice and lets it run through their fingers!!

I also like to create small world scenes in it-like put real grass in and add farm animals or playmobil characters to create a park. Last week i made it into 'the three billy goats gruff story' by adding grass and using blue fabric as water to run under a wooden block bridge.

This week i sprinkled sand on the botton-added large interesting stones and some small plastic dinosaurs-hours of fun!!

Sorry if i was waffling too much!!!

I recently bought Big Builder from the Early Learning Centre-recommended by other members. It's really good and the children enjoy it. I had to buy two sets as I didn't feel one was enough.

We also have the usual Duplo and Sticklebricks, Magnetico, and megablocks.

Linda

We're thinking of getting some play trays too ... I think they are also called TUFF SPOTS or something like that !

Our children love Mobilo ... I think it makes a difference with any construction kit if they have some inspiration to go with it so you can buy cards with ideas on ... and our children are very creative with them.

Our children also love some of the different Duplo kits (you can get them on lots of different themes e.g. farm , polar etc.) and also a traditional small piece lego as they have lots of interesting pieces such as windows and propellors ... just today one of our girls made a flying garage which moves about to where people want to park !

My all time favourite construction equipment is definitely the Community Playthings hollow and solid blocks ... I don't think you can have too many of these ... loads of interesting shapes ... so much potential

We have been thinking about getting a kit with gears / wheels etc. and would be interested to hear of any favourites that others may have tried.

Thanks

Galleon :o

I was very fortunate recently to have a lego table donated to me( like the ones you get in banks foyers). It is shaped like a 3 leafed clover ( best way I can descibe it).It has 3 "workstations" with a large base square in each, and a tub in the middle to hold the lego.

The children really enjoyed creating patterns on the squares during our recent topic on patterns, ie: balck, white, black, white, bricks in a line ( like a zebra crossing). We extended this to more complex sequences, using more colours.

The main thing we often see is children following an "Enclosing" scheme, where they place the bricks around the edge of the squares.

I also bought a large quantity of plain blocks from IKEA with some lovely box/seat storage to put them in.

Peggy

How strange Peggy-we too had a Lego table donated just last week!!! Haven't yet found a place to put it but I am sure the children will love it once it's in place. The family also gave us a lot of the small Lego which will be great for the older children to move on to. This table also has boards for using with sticklebricks.

We have Lunar Park too! That's a good one for cogs and wheels. It also has flat figures that can be used to make a merry go round.

Linda

Our children get the most pleasure and spend ages with simple wooden bricks. we have a very large box of it where it has been donated over lots of years, most of it is so old it is uncoloured. They are very inventive in its use. On the floor they make one thing then put it on a table and it has a completely different perspective and use.

They also like Interstar, Octons, magnetic blocks, and lunar park

Inge

I can't see past comunity playthings wooden blocks, solid and hollow. they are sooooo versatiles and satisfying to handle. if you have to go plastic then it has to be our old friend lego. Again much more verstile than all the rest. We're looking forward to a delivery of some Tuff Spot trays too. the look very useful. Enjoy whatever you buy.
sheila

[

Mobilo, duplo and sticklebricks are always favourites

Not sure what they are called but we have cogs that interlock and fit onto mesh they are great for problem solving.

'Big' Bricks that can build huge structures :D

The cogs and wheels which fit into the mesh as Ladybug described are called Lunar Park as others have mentioned. My children always challenge themselves to set up the cogs so that they are attached to each other in one long line all around the table they are working on. It never fails to amaze them that if they turn the first cog wheel, it makes each one turn too.

We also like popoids where children are able to make people, animals and aliens with extendable arms/legs/necks/trunks (elephant) etc. Also Poly M has a simple interlocking pieces and wheels and includes jointed people of different races and animals.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)